Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 11:53 PM
Reefer Ratings: (38 (100%)
Friends: (24)
Send a Private Message
Acrylic custom tank questions

So my 220 3/4 “ glass tank sprung a leak this tank was built like a tank lol and the seam still failed over time I was shocked so I’m gonna look into custom acrylic
Who does everyone recommend ??
Obviously the big thing for me would need to have some type of warranty

Thinking of 72 x 20” high and 24” wide
Is there such a thing as a seamless acrylic tank or maybe one that’s a poured resin or something eliminating weak spots not gonna lie this flood threw me for a loop such a helpless feeling and so much work to break down not 100 % I’m gonna keep going hoping I feel little better tomorrow wife was not thrilled ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2018, 07:24 AM
Two Decade Club
Reefer Ratings: (56 (100%)
Friends: (66)
Send a Private Message
Holy @#$&, so sorry to hear. I don’t think any manufacturer makes a seamless tank that large. I’ll do some research. You’ve seen mine it has re-enforced acrylic seams and my sump only has the two rear corners seamed. I would offer to help, but it’s bad timing, I spent all day and half the night in the hospital and probably all day today too. That’s another story......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

170 gal reef, 90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump,20 gal frag/nano, 250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actinics, MRC-2 Cal reactor, Vertex in280 skimmer, Reeflo return pump
Old 07-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Send a Private Message
Hi Mike hope you are ok!!! In the end it’s just a tank very disappointed but eventually I’ll be back might go on hiatus for a bit and next time I’d like to keep things simple and done correctly I wasn’t happy with

Old 07-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Reefer Ratings: (22 (100%)
Friends: (13)
Send a Private Message
My new tank was made by advanced acrylic in California. They do an amazing job. Give them a try.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:38 PM
Send a Private Message
Hi sunny thanks I’ll check them out why did u decide to go with them?

Old 07-08-2018, 06:42 PM
Saltwater since 1973
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (53 (100%)
Friends: (84)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE NY View Post
You’ve seen mine it has re-enforced acrylic seams and my sump only has the two rear corners seamed. I would offer to help, but it’s bad timing, I spent all day and half the night in the hospital and probably all day today too. That’s another story......
Sorry to hear Mike, been in hospital 3x this year, so I know the feeling! Hope everything’s ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl22 View Post
So my 220 3/4 “ glass tank sprung a leak this tank was built like a tank lol and the seam still failed over time I was shocked so I’m gonna look into custom acrylic
Who does everyone recommend ??
Obviously the big thing for me would need to have some type of warranty

Thinking of 72 x 20” high and 24” wide
Is there such a thing as a seamless acrylic tank or maybe one that’s a poured resin or something eliminating weak spots ...
Also sorry to hear, Matt... had my 450g split a seam 2 yrs ago, just got my new acrylic replacement (500g) set up a few months ago, so I know that feeling also!
My 2 new tanks (200 & 500g) both have the seams re-enforced like Mike’s tank...
They were custom made by fishtanksdirect in Fla... good people to work with, you’re welcome to come and take a look if you’d like.

Jan. 2011 Manhattan Reefs TOTM
800g upgrade-NOW with CORALS and FISH in the TANK!
Old 07-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl22 View Post
Hi sunny thanks I’ll check them out why did u decide to go with them?

I am also in the same boat. My 350G glass tank leaked last year. It is always a mess to clean after leaks. I decided to go acrylic to try something different. I did a lot of research and decided to go with them.

My tank is 600G and it is really well built. If I went glass the weight alone for the tank that size was a no no to me. Advanced Acrylic have a name in the hobby.

Call them up and ask for John. Tell him I referred you, might get some discount

Sunny
Old 07-08-2018, 11:24 PM
Professional Commuter
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (32)
Send a Private Message
Out of pure curiosity, how long did you and sunny have your glass tanks before they failed. It's always in the back of my mind that you don't want to think about but it lurks.
I've had a few Glass Cages tank for 14 years now.

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ured-tank.html
Old 07-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Send a Private Message
I had mine for 5 years. It split at the bottom seam.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:58 PM
Send a Private Message
Mine I bought used apparently was set up for around 2 yrs if I remember correctly and I had it 5 yrs about so 7 yrs it was so much the leak although that sucked it was what to do about the 700 lb glass tank that was gonna start to stink up my house if I didn’t get it out for that reason alone I’d never do a big tank in glass again