Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hello, everyone. Been months dealing with this algae problem. I seem to not be able to detect the root of this problem. Im trying to find the source of my algae problem. When the lights are on kinda hides the fact that the rocks are mainly green. I feel its because of my 2 ai primes, but I've constantly lowered the percentages removing red/green. Even for awhile had it set for very few hours a day on to even have no lights on at all for awhile. Than I stopped because worried my corals were starting to be effected. Ive been looking for some kind of check list online that can somehow narrow down the root of this problem.

-I have adjusted my leds constantly too low percentages with no luck
-only have 3 fish in the 40 gallon fusion, pair of clowns and a chalk bass. So it is lightly stocked
-I feed very sparingly with pellets usually only a few pellets drop to the sand to feed some of the critters like the pistol shrimp below.
-increased the clean up crew tremendously adding about 15 trochus snails, apparently good algae grazers.
-have GFO running in a reactor as well as a pouch of phosban remover from seachem
-I perform weekly 5 gallon water changes with RO/DI Water as well as top off with RO/DI water
-Phosphates are at a very good level last I checked, and as usual ammonia, nitrates and nitrites all in check.
-rocks aren't leaching phosphates as they are dry rocks from bulk reef supply
-someone suggested maybe that dark green algae is possible Coraline algae but I doubt it

Any ideas what could be the problem? I keep thinking its my lights, but after asking bulk reef supply on youtube, they said that the lights most likely is the last thing that would cause that much algae growth. Has to be something else feeding the algae.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0731.jpg
    IMG_0731.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0732.jpg
    IMG_0732.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 252
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
First thing turn off red and green led I have ais and I do not run the red and green they feed alge. Get your self a piece of live rock that is live covered in coralline you need coralline in order to grow it. And keep up water quality and ride it out it will go away on its own.

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Tank has been fully cycled since march. I have already lowered the green and red to 0 about a month or 2 ago. I have some small peices of coralline covered rocks and shells scattered around the back of the tank already. No its not close to amy windows at all, thats why been so confuaed what to do, seem to be unable to find solution

nano

don't fear the reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That algae looks good. Usually the first step is green, then the purple corraline will cover it. As long as it isn't something that is fibrous or slimey or growing onto coral tissue, it's just part of the process of the rocks maturing.

llobrao

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Just my 2 cents this is my 3rd tank I?ve build I?ve noticed there is a algae cycle in all 3 tanks specially on new rocks don?t be alarmed algae will always be present in your tank so mine went from light green like your pics to darker green then kind of red to then coralinw algae, as long as it?s not unwanted algae like hair don?t be scare it?s natural and sings of system maturity

thedragoneel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My friend, those pictures show absolutely nothing you should even worry about. I was waiting to see the forest in the pics and laughed at what I saw. Buy some urchins, they will take care of that in a week. That rock will be going thru many phases as it looks nothing like established rock. Enjoy the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: