Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Thatguy96
Reefer Ratings: (67 (100%)
Friends: (34)
Send a Private Message
Lost track of my Alk...How often do you test?

So I like to think of myself as somewhat of an experiences reefer but I have to say that I hate testing my water ha

I mostly watch my tank and perform regular maintenance. I dose Alk and Calcium with Kalkwasser through my ATO and I have managed about 10.5 ALK with the SPS growing really nicely! Anyhow, I recently tested my ALk and found that it dropped to 5.6 . I couldn't believe it at first, but quickly realized this is the reason why folks say that you really should monitor your ALK regularly because if Corals are growing, they will consume more ALK (especially my three clams!!) and there is no better way but testing on a regular basis to keep this in check.

I'm all about automation so I cant wait for this trident method from APEX, I would have to say.

For the folks with mixed reefs and SPS heavy load, how often do you test??

Thanks for any comments or feedback guys.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Reefer Ratings: (8 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
4 times a day with a ghl kh director .
If alk drops it is supplied if needed by the measurements taken .
Old 08-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Thatguy96
Reefer Ratings: (67 (100%)
Friends: (34)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg 45 View Post
4 times a day with a ghl kh director .
If alk drops it is supplied if needed by the measurements taken .
Wow that is impressive. Do you drive alot of the corals success to this?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:28 PM
Reefer Ratings: (41 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
I think the issue is you are trying to keep alk and cal constant with your ATO but the amount of evaporation will be different some days causing you to use more top off water causing a spike. I would switch over to dosing pumps and dose a and b. You will be able to keep levels much more consistent and once your dose is dialed in you can test every few days or once a week.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:33 PM
Two Decade Club
Reefer Ratings: (56 (100%)
Friends: (66)
Send a Private Message
Checking the alk multiple times a day for serious SPS guys is not that uncommon because IMO alk is the most important element to keep stable in an acceptable range.....too big of a swing could damage many months or years of growth very quickly and takes months to recover if at all. Personally I test it once a day....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

170 gal reef, 90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump,20 gal frag/nano, 250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actinics, MRC-2 Cal reactor, Vertex in280 skimmer, Reeflo return pump
Old 08-06-2018, 07:12 PM
vio
Reefer Ratings: (67 (99%)
Friends: (60)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonomo53 View Post
I think the issue is you are trying to keep alk and cal constant with your ATO but the amount of evaporation will be different some days causing you to use more top off water causing a spike. I would switch over to dosing pumps and dose a and b. You will be able to keep levels much more consistent and once your dose is dialed in you can test every few days or once a week.
+1
If , you serious about SPS, forgot about Kalka. in long way make more harm then good.
I stop using , i end up have Calcium over 500 , not even show in scale. Calcium reactor is the key. I will add some tips:

Electronic bubble regulator = The BEST
Monitor melting media , then when go to low , do NOT add. use wet vacuum , remove it , clean the sponge in the bottom, you will see media become like sand , restrict the water flow on pump, add NEW media.

Use a pump to take water from bottom ,push to top , help to remove some CO2 .

I start using strainer to avoid Detritus go inside the reactor .

Use outside air Intake for Protein Skimmer.

I monitor the bubble and pump of C.R. every week.
Test Alk. one a week , unless i found some think wrong.
I love 7 dKH.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Reefer Ratings: (89 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
when i was growing serious SPS, i was at every day or every other day with the hanna checker.

if you are just mix reefing it and just want to enjoy. id say once a week is good.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Professional Commuter
Reefer Ratings: (47 (100%)
Friends: (32)
Send a Private Message
Every other day until stable then 1x every 7 days for a system utilizing a dosing pump with A & B.
For a nano tank utilizing hand dosing corrections with Reef Builder (Alk) and Reef Complete (Calcium), every 3 days.
This has worked for my situation.

https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ured-tank.html
Old 08-07-2018, 12:02 PM
Reefer Ratings: (5 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Am a Shame to say I don’t test anything. Am the worst reefer. I just dose aquaforest comp 1.2.3 and leave it alone. When you start chasing number you spend too much time chasing number and not staring at your under water garden. Coral Are very resilient And will often timed adapt to there environment and thrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2018, 12:09 PM
Reefer Ratings: (89 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazeel55 View Post
Am a Shame to say I don’t test anything. Am the worst reefer. I just dose aquaforest comp 1.2.3 and leave it alone. When you start chasing number you spend too much time chasing number and not staring at your under water garden. Coral Are very resilient And will often timed adapt to there environment and thrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is not chasing numbers.... this is keeping consistency. and testing alk regularly applies to keeping sticks. and if not testing and going rambo is good for you then by all means go rambo. But testing alk and cal and mag is not about chasing its about keeping your water consistent