da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Recently had about out break of Cyano bacteria. I?m on day two of a black out and starting 24 hours after my lights were off started getting a very fishy low tide smell in the room. Is this normal because the bacteria is dying off? I am on day two of a black out and starting 24 hours after my lights were off started getting a very fishy low tide smell in the room. Is this normal because the bacteria is dying off? I checked all corals and don?t see any tissue loss and all my fish are accounted for. I checked all corals and don?t see any tissue loss and all my fish are accounted for.

Tank is six months old ammonia zero nitrite and nitrate zero calcium 420 alkalinity eight

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My main question is if the smell is normal during the black out or if there could be something else going on. My tank is in my basement living room and the entire basement smells and of course this is the weekend I?ll be having company staying down there.

skiwez

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had that happen when I get cyano. Best way to clear up is to keep the skimmer clean. My tank is also in the basement and can tell by smell when I walk in that the skimmer needs cleaning

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I cleaned tre skimmer the day I started the black out. I checked the cap and it was a little loose. I?m hope it was just that. But the display tank when I open the canopy had a smell.
This morning day 3 of the black out and the smell is less intense. Probably change out some water and carbon media before turning the lights back on tomorrow.

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Recap:
Day 1 black out. The smell began in the evening fairly strong
Day 2 smell increased. I did notice that the cap on my skimmer was not tight. But the smell was strong above my display tank
Day 3 very little if any smell.
Day 4 I?ll be turning my lights back on

Not sure if it was the Cyano dying off that cause the smell or if it was a sliggtly loss skimmer cap.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: