jkidd155

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
as far as testing for the usual cal alk mag nitrate ammonia phosphate is there any other things i should be testing for as far as corals i have lps softies zoas brains gonna start introducing some sps to my tank and as far as additives im dosing cal alk mag trace elements and acropower should i need to dose anything else?

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
as far as testing for the usual cal alk mag nitrate ammonia phosphate is there any other things i should be testing for as far as corals i have lps softies zoas brains gonna start introducing some sps to my tank and as far as additives im dosing cal alk mag trace elements and acropower should i need to dose anything else?

If you're going to start introducing SPS, alkalinity is arguably the most important parameter to test. After a while, you'll have an idea of how much Alk your tank consumes and you don't need to test as often. Calcium is also important to keep stable but there's a wider range than alkalinity. Magnesium I don't test as often since it takes a while for it to drop. Nitrate/phosphate I don't test for unless I have algae issues (high nutrients) or color loss in corals (low nutrients). You shouldn't even need to test for ammonia unless something major happens to your tank. In an established tank, your live rock should be able to take care of any ammonia buildup from a fish dying. I'll test SG only when doing a water change. pH I don't even pay attention to.

I think what you're dosing is more than enough. Just need to pay attention to your corals and see how they react.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: