pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
So I just wanted to let my fellow reefers know that when you buy used (and we all do from time to time) Ecotech Marine products that currently, there is NO WARRANTY whether you have the buyer's receipt or whether it's within the 12 month period from manufacture date.
This did not use to be the case years ago, I've had them repair replace repurchased items as long as it was within the 12 month warranty period and sometimes past.
Just went through email convo today with service rep at EM about a Radion that I bought with a manufacture date of 10/10/17. Basically I told them I was the 2nd owner because you can never tell if the original purchaser had ever registered the product. Service Rep replied that there is no warranty service for non original purchasers despite the product having a manufacture date within 12 months. Asked whether it would make a difference if I obtained the BRS receipt from the original purchaser, he said nope but you can have the light serviced at your cost for parts and shipping.
Based on this experience going forward, I would not even buy a "new, never used, sealed, fell off the back of a truck" EM product in the future, just go retail from an authorized reseller or buy used knowing the facts.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
well thats usually why there is a nice price drop in those items even being barely used you can usually get the g4 pros up to 200 off retail. Just need to deal with the possible risk of warranty issues. I've been able to luck out recently with not having any issues with items ive purchased used, but im sure that wont last for ever.

Wondering

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Most manufacturers will only honor their warranty if the name of owner is on the receipt despite it not being fully legal. The way many of them get around it is they claim the product is only under warranty for a month or so but they extend it to the original owner (only) by another period, sometimes even a lifetime. I believe that this fact has to be stated clearly on the product or on the company?s website. Otherwise, you could probably fight them but that would cost more than repairing or replacing said item.
Basically, as a general rule, when you buy a used product, the warranty, for all intents and purposes, is void.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: