I've been in the hobby for around 8yrs and ive always used dry rock for my 3 tank start ups over the years (latest being my 93g cube 3yrs ago) and used Bayer Advanced on all my coral additions. This helps ensure that i do not have unwanted parasites (atleast i like to think so). So far ive never had a pest control situation.

I recently wanted to add some Cheato & copepods from liveaquaria to my system so i can house some finicky eaters (anthias & dragonets). HOWEVER the cheato that i got from liveaquaria appear to have multiple micofauna (appear to be amphipods, small brittle start fish, some small worm looking creatures)

Besided the amphipods, i have have no way to know if the other micofauna seen in the cheato are good. Should I be concerned about adding this cheato?

Attachments

• 4A740414-3E9D-49FD-900D-DF8EE9A2F7FA.jpg
    4A740414-3E9D-49FD-900D-DF8EE9A2F7FA.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Not sure about , liveaquaria but for sure ,Dino love to hang in Chaetto and Algae Scrubber.

If i was you , i will skip Macro Algae , unless you have a Scope and examine very well. Target , remove sample ( brown and bubble ) by using feed pipette if you see somewhere around Chaetto .

Ans. is yes.
I think you good, looks healthy , you need some sand , to hide.

Thanks. i got over my fear and added the cheato to the display sump :D . i first floated the cheato in the DT and about 20-25 amphipods scattered down to the sandbed. Then i took the cheato and added to the sump

I feel like Live Aquaria wouldn't sell you dirty, pest riddled chaeto. they probably clean it very well, but you could always contact them...

I agree BUT at the same time, there is no way they can completely alliminate all parasites either. After a pretty good inspection, i decided to add the cheato to the sump :smile:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: