Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 11:14 AM
Reefer Ratings: (30 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Question algae scrubber models next to sump?

Hi all, was wondering if anyone has seen a scrubber model that sits parallel to a sump, not above it. I'm designing a new system for myself and the only thing that looks efficient are the Clear water external scrubbers listed on bulk reef supplies, where the water is pumped in, but gravity fed outflow and needs to be placed above the sump.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cw-10...ear-water.html
I really don't see why we have to squeeze another unit vertically where space is a premium, where there's plenty of space to the side. I'm guessing engineers have though about this and figured this was the only way to go, since placing a unit parallel to a sump would require 2 pumps? one to fill, and another to drain which can cause clogging problems?
Old 11-08-2018, 01:38 PM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
A waterfall style ats would be problematic for the reasons you stated. Could do an underwater style with an air pump