Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Depends on the size of the shop. Fresh water is a big part of most aquarium shops, but not the basic stuff. What draws money are shops that specialize in planted tank stuff. Plants, fish, supplies, etc. All depends on how much of a following you can build with the reef stuff, but NYC has a number of good shops with loyal followings and you are going to have to do a really good job of impressing people to pay the bills every month.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I concur. Most lfs already have there hardcore loyal customers. In the same breath some people love things that are new and are curious by nature. If you guys can come up with a gimmick or a sale to give people a reason to check your store out. Then once you get then in kill em with kindness and give people a reason to come back.
As far as freshwater and cichlids I say do it. Opens up your customer range and eventhough in a saltwater guy I don?t mind looking at the cichlids and freshwater. Saltwater isn?t for everyone.
Good luck and wish you guys the best

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What is pretty popular today in freshwater is monster fish. Years ago freshwater was a 10 gal community tank. Today freshwater you need a much bigger tank. People didn't realize a lot of freshwater fish get big. I think more exotic freshwater will do well. Discus,Stingray , Arowana, Catfish. Ect... Either FW or SW the more rare and exotic more visits you get. I just saw a youtuber do video in China. They are fish stores next to each other. The stores are small but packed with fish. Other wise what is the profit in a regular FW fish. Not very much.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: