Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2019, 10:26 PM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Question Help! Flameback Attacking 8 Line Wrasse

On a relatively new 55 gallon tank I decided to add what was an expensive 8 line wrasse. The tank had two clowns and one flameback angel that have been there for a few weeks.

The flameback is now attacking the wrasse every time he leaves his hiding spot; first it started with these weird tail whips and a day later I caught a few instances of nipping.

If it matters, the wrasse is roughly the same size if not larger then the angel.

Am I doomed or will this reside? At all costs I’d like to avoid removing the rocks to catch him, as the aquascape is elaborate and I cannot currently catch the angel.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:10 PM
Got Reef?
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
How many days has it been? Most semi aggressive fish will be aggressive towards new tank mates when first introduced. Usually goes better when adding a few fish at a time vs one at a time.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:01 AM
Reefer Ratings: (19 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Try a mirror on the outside of the tank. Flameback might leave the wrasse alone and go after its own reflection. Can't hurt. My tomini tang goes nuts with the mirror, it keeps him entertained for days.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Send a Private Message
I put a shaving mirror. The flameback won’t get close too it but keeps swimming nearby.

Should I continue to leave lights off? I introduced the wrasse on a Saturday.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Send a Private Message
Also, does the tail whip cause any physical harm to the wrasse?