Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey Everyone, finally going to start making my own water. I set up the unit and every thing, i just need it to run an hour or so, since i heard you should let the unit run and make 5 gallons of water to clean out the system of food presertatives and so on. What ive been doing in the past is storing freshly made saltwater from an lfs in air tight 5 gallon jugs. So one jug of saltwater would be stored for a week and the other stored 2 weeks.

Would I be able to continue this process or is there really a big difference in using freshly made saltwater asap compared to a max of 2 week storage?

How long can feshly made Ro/Di water be stored for? If saltwater can?t be stored long, maybe i?ll store the ro/dinwater and mix salt into it when needed.

When using ro/di water for ATO use, does it need a ph buffer? I asked this because, i keep rodi water stored in a 5 gallon container beside my 40 fusion, if not mistaken ro/di comes out with very low ph...or when its added slowly into the tank ot fixes the ph ok its own?

I think i should be ready to rock and roll now lol the lfs i get my saltwater from uses plain instant ocean (not knocking on it), so i want to try the Red Sea Coral Pro salt instead, as i know now my salinity should be more on point since the lfs is usually not consistant.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
You can store almost all salt mixes for a very long time. Forever on some.

The exception is some of them recomend to use within a certain time, like 4 hours.
I believe Red Sea, Aqua forest and tropic marin are those that do. You would want to read their directions first.

One thing regarding the coral pro is the higher elements involved along with the higher DKH, may want to look into that a bit, if those are the nutrients level you are wanting to maintain with their specific parameters.

RODI can be stored air tight or close to it forever.

Best purchase you have made so far is the rodi unit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
slowly adding rodi water to your tank to combat evaporation will not affect the pH in your tank. most likely, your RODI water will be more acidic than we like for an aquarium...so I wouldn't dump 2 or 3 buckets in at a time (which you wouldn't do anyway) so no problems there.

I store 30G of fresh RODI and saltwater mixed at all times. The rodi is left in a brute with a pump set to cycle every 3 hrs for 15 min. I find the water smelled "stale" when not doing this. I clean that container out with a vinegar/hot water mix every 6 months.
The salt mixture I have cycling also every 3 hours for 15 min but I also keep this heated to 70-72. I find this doesn't last nearly as long. Definitely begins to smell like mold after 2-3 weeks. Gives me incentive to use for water changes right away. I use Tropic Marin.

on a side note, if it takes you over an hour to make 5G of water, you have a pressure issue. get that tested. you ideally want your psi to be around 60 for the max efficiency of your RODI unit. if you don't have that, I suggest buying a pump for it. best investment I ever made. I make 30G in about 1.5 hrs.

Last edited:

Pazzoman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. Will follow what has been suggested. Most likely going to plan on storing ro/di water in jugs. Than I will add salt on actual water change days. As for the unit, some reason im having issues, however its eigher an issue with the sink as it makes a lot of sounds when it forces water into the red line...or possibly maybe the connections of the ro/unit. I posted it up as it was a very lightly used handy down, maybe she cleaned the fittings and maybe didn't put them in the right spots? Im unsure

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. Will follow what has been suggested. Most likely going to plan on storing ro/di water in jugs. Than I will add salt on actual water change days. As for the unit, some reason im having issues, however its eigher an issue with the sink as it makes a lot of sounds when it forces water into the red line...or possibly maybe the connections of the ro/unit. I posted it up as it was a very lightly used handy down, maybe she cleaned the fittings and maybe didn't put them in the right spots? Im unsure
Go here and get the best info regarding rodi installation

https://spectrapure.com/hookup-diagrams

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: