Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I just had a new custom Acrilyic tank built and delivered I?m very concerned after finding a issue with one of the seams looking for ppl who are familiar with Acrilyic to let me know if this is an issue

30898f8ae7396a6a6c08cf27ce3268a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
My tank was brand new and custom made when I got them and I didn't have an issue accepting the tank that way. The amount of bubbles was very small, and the thickness on my tank is 3/4", so when I looked through the seem I could see straight through. Basically you want to make sure that the seams are solid and straight, and that there aren't any gaps.

If the tank was small I would be a little concerned. What you should do is contact the manufacturer and ask them about it.

Last edited:

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hi the tank is 72x24widex28? high

I spoke to manufacture he is very confidant that it?s not an air bubble he thinks it?s a fleck of acrylic from the routing process that is completely bonded in the joint and has offered me a 4 yr warrantee instead of the usual 1 yr

I?m not thrilled but not much else to do other then get it filled up and hope for the best

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I'm not sure of that. What I would do is get a couple of really good pictures and send them to a couple of places that make large acrylic tanks and see what they say. Funny, but I thought the warranties on acrylic tanks were much longer than 1 year. Is this a glass cage tank?

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't like it. That's not normal. You can see air pocket and bubble. My opinion send it back. You don't want this thing to get worst and cause damage. Why take that chance? Like stated above have someone look at pictures see what they have to say.

Last edited:

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Unfortunately this tank is huge and shipping it back I don?t even know if that is an option

Is custom king still on here would like to get his #
Or anyone who does acrylic work ?

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Matt not sure this would help or be an option, but Weldon # 16 is a thicker Weldon - you can get it on Amazon rather quickly. Its what they use to fuse acrylic. you could also use a Weldon 4 is more viscus first it will get into smaller cracks. You could run a bead down the seam. Any areas that there is a gap it will fill in UNLESS there is no gap - if that is the case you SHOULD be okay.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Personally would not accept that it should not be their especially on expensive tanks returning might be a bit of work trucking etc but you should get what you paid for
Pieces of acrylic would blend in discoloration comes from bubbles

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Manufacture is adamant it?s cosmetic only and has upped his Warrantee on it to 10 yrs and he will send that in writing stating if tank leaks with in 10 yrs he will send a replacement tank with in a week

I?m still nervous about it but not really sure what I can do

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The Bubbles I wouldn't worry about, they're very minor from what I can see in the picture. If the seam is lined up and you don't see any gap then from that point the tank is OK. The part about a flake of acrylic getting stuck in there from the routing process is something that I don't know about, but from the picture it doesn't look like it's by the seam, and the seam does looked sealed. Once again you should reach out to manufactures that build large acrylic tanks and ask them their opinion on it.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I don't think it looks like a problem. I would have been more worried about only a one year warranty but considering they are now offering 10 it sounds like they are standing behind it and would feel pretty confident.

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Matt if shipping it back is not an option to put your mind at ease you could reinforce the seam with a corner bead of acrylic. On my tank all the seams are reinforced with an acrylic bead. I?ll text you some pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hi guys thanks for all the advice yes manufacturer seems to be standing behind it not how I wanted to start new tank worried about a seam but after talking to him a few times I?m gonna fill it up and hope for the best manufacture also offered to make me a a top off container don?t think I?ll take him up on this
b5beadcb42dcef0a961f4415a917dc23.jpg

Better picture

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Hi guys thanks for all the advice yes manufacturer seems to be standing behind it not how I wanted to start new tank worried about a seam but after talking to him a few times I?m gonna fill it up and hope for the best manufacture also offered to make me a a top off container don?t think I?ll take him up on this
b5beadcb42dcef0a961f4415a917dc23.jpg

Better picture

Why not if its free this would not void anything its not a settlement (unless you say it is or sign something that says it is) it?s just to keep you happy

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hi guys I really wanted to keep the name of manufacture out of it for the moment still discussing the issue with him and wanted to see how it plays out First
Marrone could u delete the one post with there name for now while I work it out with them

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: