jkidd155

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
So I decided to put a uv on my set I?ve heard that it strips the tank of everything so just wondering if I should run it 24 hrs a day n if so should I add anything else besides cal alk mag n trace elements I have a 120 uv is a 57!watt

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It?s a big uv for a 120 but...
It doesn?t strip everything. In fact it does not strip any trace elements, at all.

Running water through it faster will kill any free floating algae that goes through and gets exposed to the uv light. Run water through slow enough and it kills pathogens and life forms like ich, and will also kill helpful pods. Well, it doesn?t actually kill them, it sterilizes them leaving them unable to reproduce

Last edited:

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
It?s a big uv for a 120 but...
It doesn?t strip everything. In fact it does not strip any trace elements, at all.

Running water through it faster will kill any free floating algae that goes through and gets exposed to the uv light. Run water through slow enough and it kills pathogens and life forms like ich, and will also kill helpful pods. Well, it doesn?t actually kill them, it sterilizes them leaving them unable to reproduce

+1
I think is to big 57W, i just install one yesterday ( also 57 W) in my 300 Gal. , in may case maybe to small , but i prefer like that.

thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
No still need QT. You can keep a sponge filter or a bio wheel in your Sump to keep seeded for a while (until you need it)with Bacteria and use it on a QT tank when you set it up for new fish. They need to be in Sump for at least a few weeks .you can also soak them in Bactria in a bottle to be safe. Thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: