nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
I have a question : what would be a normal amount of water being added to a 120ga tank to top off on a daily basis? It?s an open top 36? x 36? x 27? tank and I maintain the temp at about 77, the skimmer is pulling about 2? of waste in the cup a day. Please advise what you?re having to add to your tanks of similar size.

Thank you

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Its really going to vary person to person. Surface area, and surface water movement play large rolls as does sump size, skimmer size (produces moist air which vents out of vent holes in the lid not just skimmate). Also your own house parameters play a role if your air is dry, then it will suck much more water out of your tank vs something in a more damp environment.

personally, I have a 4ft 120g, 40b, and 50g rubber maid stock tank all sucking from the same ato reservoir which holds about 25 gallons and it fills itself about once a week.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mine is about 1 gallon/day. 120g tank, 55g sump with canopy. I do have two exhaust fans in the canopy. One blows in the other blows out to avoid moisture/mold issues. I use LED w/T5 supplement.

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Top Off Water

Ok now I?m not as worried, my tank has been taking approximately a gallon a day and I thought it was too much. I keep my house at 70* and the temp in my tank at 77*, no lid or canopy. Thanks guys, for a second there I was looking for a leak because I thought it was not normal to need a gallon a day.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: