Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 07:28 AM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
Today my reef reached 48 years old

I moved it three times, the last move was 8 months ago. I moved 60 miles and transferred everything from my old 100 gallon tank into a new 125 gallon tank. The old tank was 40 years old and the front was very scratched. I wanted a larger tank anyway and that old one was built into a wall and I couldn't remove it anyway.
Since this tank is 6" higher, I need some more corals to fill it but corals have been scarce in LFSs lately and there are none around here so I have to drive long distances to get some.
I didn't lose any livestock in the move.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:16 AM
Reefer Ratings: (9 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
Happy birthday Tank

Dam
Old 03-01-2019, 09:12 PM
Got Reef?
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
Incredible! I am sure you have seen some crazy things in this hobby over 48 years. So glad you didn’t just give up during the last move as I am sure it wasn’t easy for you.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:56 AM
Send a Private Message
I never give up. It's a challenge.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:28 PM
OLD SCHOOL-ish
Reefer Ratings: (12 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
Paul,
Wow, just simply wow !!!

keep it going.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:44 PM
papa newbie
Reefer Ratings: (61 (100%)
Friends: (48)
Send a Private Message
something special about that LI mud!!! amazing longevity...
Old 03-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Send a Private Message
So I went away for 2 days and last night after I came home I found my male Mandarin dead. This is very unusual because I never find a dead fish and my fish don't get sick. I "think" I saw him eating a few days ago but I didn't notice anything weird with him as he was full bodied and smiled a lot.
I did notice that he hasn't paid any attention to the really good looking female mandarin in a few months.
I also have not used my Mandarin feeder since I moved here 8 months ago because I just have not had time to set up my brine shrimp hatchery. But he was not thin at all so I don't think I needed it and there are bluestripe pipefish and a scooter bleeny that are also fat and fine after a few years.

I am not sure how long Mandarins live and I don't remember when I got this one so it could have been ten years or more ago. He outlived two females, one died from being egg bound and I think the other one jumped out. Maybe he broke her heart. I do have a lousy memory and have not kept a log book in decades. He was dead to long to do a necropsy but I am sure it would not show anything.

Normally when other fish die of old age, they stop eating for a few days and hide a lot. He was not eaten by bristle worms but Mandarins have a thick slime that keeps other fish from eating them and maybe bristle worms don't find them tasty. I have bristle worms that could finish off a halibut in a few hours.