jsanfilippo5

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have been out of this hobby for a while - finally got into a new house and have the time to set something up again. I currently have stand/lights for a 36x18 size tank. BUT Thinking of going bigger this time around.

I am looking to put a 75 or 90 gallon in my basement. it gets pretty cold down here in the winter - I never really saw it drop below 50 down here on the coldest nights - but I am wondering how many heaters or wattage I may need for this much water..

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 300watt in my 75g but the room it's in always stays around room temperature and never dips below 68. I agree with the above post if the temp drops to the 50's in that room I would go with a bigger heater.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
50 is pretty dang cold. It is probably going to cost you a bunch to keep that tank up to temp in the winter. I would maybe recommend getting a tank with glass tops which should help you keep your heat in the tank especially in the winter....

as for heater wattage, I have become pretty fond of the finnex deluxe titanium heaters because of their higher wattage to size ratio compared to many other makers. This lets you pack a nice high wattage heater in a pretty small space. I would recommend their 500w for your system to start. May even need to add in something above that which I guess can be where your 2x 100w heaters can come into play.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Also, I had helped my cousin set up a fish tank in his unfinished/unheated basement and he ended up needing about 800 watts of heat to keep an uncovered 120g tank and trigger sump up to temperature. He quickly decided the cost of heating the tank in the winter was a deal breaker and sold it off.... so just keep that in mind.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: