nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Tank has been running a little over 5 weeks since the upgrade. It has develop a green algae film on top of the sand bed and some of the live rock. Anything to worry about? Too much nutrients or too much phosphates? I need to do a phosphate test to know where I stand?

nyc reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.5%
274   10   0
Green mat on sand

What you think it is? I bought one of those gravel vacuum and was thinking of using it on my sand bed to remove that green algae mat, any ideas? I?ve always read not to disturb the sand because it can release lots of toxins but my sand is new Carib-Alive about 60lb, tank started around 6 weeks ago give or take a week.

Czynot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
normal for new tanks. green and brown algae will go away on its own. It is green hair algae you don't want to let it grow out of control. Use the gravel vacuum to shift the sand. dim down the lights will slow the algae growth.

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, you'll get the uglies when the tank is new. Recently set up an Anemone tank and it just turned the corner and the cyano and diatoms that were plaguing my tank have finally disappeared after the last clean up and WC. The tank was started in early January.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: