Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2019, 07:30 PM
The All Powerful OZ
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason: Moderator badge 
Reefer Ratings: (52 (98%)
Friends: (43)
Send a Private Message
Chrysurus Koran hybrid Angelfish

A while back I brought a very small Juv Chrysurus Angel from AMA. They had it for a long time and nobody seemed to want it. I put it in my reef tank and it has grown quite big over time. The thing is that it never started to show the usually colors of the adult Chrysurus Angel, like the yellow tail, and just recently I notice it starting to show colors on it's body that you would see on a Koran Angel.

https://youtu.be/4-6IDu1MUGM

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before they speak.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

It is far easier to fool people than to show them that they've been fooled.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by marrone View Post
A while back I brought a very small Juv Chrysurus Angel from AMA. They had it for a long time and nobody seemed to want it. I put it in my reef tank and it has grown quite big over time. The thing is that it never started to show the usually colors of the adult Chrysurus Angel, like the yellow tail, and just recently I notice it starting to show colors on it's body that you would see on a Koran Angel.

https://youtu.be/4-6IDu1MUGM

If I had to guess that looks like a Koran to me. Big price diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 07:45 PM
The All Powerful OZ
Send a Private Message
But it's not a Koran. There was an article posts back in December where the fish looks very similar to this fish, but it's smaller at the moment, also you can't see some of the markings in the video that you can see up close.

https://reefbuilders.com/2018/12/11/...cted-in-kenya/

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before they speak.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:57 PM
Send a Private Message
All the chryssurus angels I’ve seen as well as my own have had a clean black background and juvis and a lightening of the face area as they age. If it is a hybrid it’s like the way the blues and queens hybrid like f3+

Old 03-25-2019, 08:19 PM
The All Powerful OZ
Send a Private Message
I had a very large adult Chrysurus for a long time, grew it out from a small Juv, and this one was very similar to it when I got it, but very small. It had more black on the body but now it seems to be changing, though it's still dark. It still had the thick white bars and they aren't fading away, and the one towards the back are straight. The front of the head is now developing the spots that you would see on both fish. From the picture in the link, and what others are online, it seems that they look more like Koran but still has the stripe of the Chrysurus.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:23 PM
Send a Private Message
The ranges of the fish overlap so I mean the gene pool is most likely mixing up. The fish are close enough in shape to likely interbreed

Old 03-25-2019, 08:26 PM
The All Powerful OZ
Send a Private Message
Yes, and from the article it seems that it happen a lot in Kenya, though I don't remember seeing many show up. In the end I rather have a Chrysurus, as I don't think this is going to look as nice.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:37 PM
Send a Private Message
Yeah I mean it’s not like an annularis mixing with an emperor . I think my queen is mixed with something cause it’s really orange but there would be no clarions around where they inhabit.