KingPringles

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Live on the first floor in a 3 family house in LIC.

-Been running my RODI under the kitchen sink for 2.5 years with no issues.

-Faulty toilet float switch for a few months led to a bad water leak in the pipes, messing up the basement apartment's ceiling after a while (Float switch was fixed)

-Now the under-sink RODI in the kitchen also causes leaks in the basement unit

If I hook up a garden hose RODI adapter to the outdoor faucet, what're the chances the same pipes will leak downstars again? Assuming there's a main water pipe pumping water through the house and there's a leak internally somewhere.

Really can't afford another leak downstairs without getting kicked out (month to month lease).

Anyone have any experience? Would hate to arrange for a regular RO Water delivery or buy pre-mixed SW since I don't have a car.

Thanks all,

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Czynot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have a valve on the RODI unit at pipe. I turn it off when my water is full. I turn it on when I need it. Few times I forgot to turn off the water and overflow the container.
Tired of flooding the floor so I added a solenoid to the water line. It will automatically cut shut off the water feed to the container when it is full. I just go close the pipe valve when I get a chance. No more flooding.

KingPringles

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a valve on the RODI unit at pipe. I turn it off when my water is full. I turn it on when I need it. Few times I forgot to turn off the water and overflow the container.
Tired of flooding the floor so I added a solenoid to the water line. It will automatically cut shut off the water feed to the container when it is full. I just go close the pipe valve when I get a chance. No more flooding.
Thanks, Cyznot. I've got a valve hooked up with a passthrough under the sink - no solenoid. Never got my floors wet but recently noticed the RODI unit was leaking a little. Avg 5-6 hrs for a 10G Rubbermaid (pressure's probably low?) But the leaking under the sink is so minimal only a tiny puddle of water's noticeable in the cabinet recently.

Hoping it's not a busted pipe but the small leaks in the RODI is causing a bigger issue downstairs?

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I am really having trouble grasping how hooking up your rodi unit causes leaked in another apartment... would you mind explaining more?

Using an rodi doesnt increase pressure on the in home pipes, so how would it have caused the pipes to burst?

KingPringles

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am really having trouble grasping how hooking up your rodi unit causes leaked in another apartment... would you mind explaining more?

Using an rodi doesnt increase pressure on the in home pipes, so how would it have caused the pipes to burst?

Definitely wasn't a result of the RODI unit being hooked up. The float valve in mytoilet was wonky for a few months so there was a slight constant trickle in the toilet bowl at all times. Eventually, this somehow became a bigger issue and messed up the pipes internally (I think).

Ultimately shut down my 80G system because the landlord was convinced it was due to my aquarium even though everything around it was dry. The only times we get complaints of leaking downstairs now is when I'm trying to make water. Super confused.:letitallo

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Definitely wasn't a result of the RODI unit being hooked up. The float valve in mytoilet was wonky for a few months so there was a slight constant trickle in the toilet bowl at all times. Eventually, this somehow became a bigger issue and messed up the pipes internally (I think).

Ultimately shut down my 80G system because the landlord was convinced it was due to my aquarium even though everything around it was dry. The only times we get complaints of leaking downstairs now is when I'm trying to make water. Super confused.:letitallo

Yeah, I'm confused about that too. Granted I'm not a plumber, but I would think the only way using water would cause a leak would be a leak somewhere in the drain line the water is going down. If there was a leak in the water supply line, then it should leak regardless if any water is being used or not as the supply lines in the house are always pressurized.

I guess the similarities between the running toilet water and the RODI would be that it is supplying a constant drip of water down the drain for long periods of time compared to the relatively short periods of time that water is going down the drain during other "standard" household uses. Definitely sounds to me like there is a small leak in one of the drain lines.

KingPringles

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Makes sense. I've always drained the RODI back up through the kitchen sink...wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Alternatively, if i used the outdoor faucet, since the RODI's intake & drain are both outside...wonder if it'd work.

If i get to it this weekend, will post an update.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Would anyone be opposed to you pissing your rodi waste water out the window of your apartment? My guess is that prevents the issue. Or sure setting it up outside would do the same but then you need to bring the water back to your apartment

Joe7cri

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I too doubt your RODI caused any leaks, but I do wonder how much corrosion is caused by pouring saltwater down the drain during water changes. I take my water outside because of this and dump it in the road. Might not matter, but I don't want to screw myself a few years from now when it only takes an extra 10 minutes to bring the buckets of water outside

Last edited:

KingPringles

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Would anyone be opposed to you pissing your rodi waste water out the window of your apartment? My guess is that prevents the issue. Or sure setting it up outside would do the same but then you need to bring the water back to your apartment
Gonna give it a try and grab a union & some additional line to route it out the window.

KingPringles

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I too doubt your RODI caused any leaks, but I do wonder how much corrosion is caused by pouring saltwater down the drain during water changes. I take my water outside because of this and dump it in the road. Might not matter, but I don't want to screw myself a few years from now when it only take an extra 10 minutes to c=bring the buckets of water outside
Good point. Might start dumping my used SW outside from now on. Since im stuck with the nano for now, it's only 5G/week or two anyway. Thanks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: