Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 02:35 AM
Clean reef !
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
Flow and lighting in a nano tank

Hello there was hoping someone could give some advice.

I have a 5 gallon evo spec and just started adding some zoas, gsp, and xenia. Im only putting softies in the tank, mostly zoas.

I dont think the flow from the stock return pump is giving enough flow and the stock light is good enough for softies. I could be wrong though

The light is 11,000k is that good enough for the atuff i want to keep ? Should i upgrade ? I heard some light might be too string for zoas.

Also i stuck an 80gph powerhead in there and pit it on its lowest setting. The zoas are cool but the xenia looks like its getting blown around.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you
Old 04-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Reefer Ratings: (27 (100%)
Friends: (13)
Send a Private Message
I had the same tank but upgraded the stock pump and also went with an upgraded led light. I don’t think the company is around anymore though.

For the pump I believe it was a hydro pico 180 but needed to remove the back plate so it would fit in the tank. I also used a Koralia rotating return to help with flow throughout the tank.

I kept softies and even sps for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Clean reef !
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
Thank you

I wound up going with the fluval nano 25000k light. Its blue tooth i love it and its strong enouugh for some other softies that i like . I upgraded the flow with a little 80gph powerhead for surface movement.

I got some nice zoas in there, some gsp, xenia, and a neon toadstool in there at the moment.

Thanks for the advice