fireshark02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I was wondering what everyone with deep acrylic tanks use to clean their tanks. I normally use magic erasers but but i recently set up a 30x30x30 cube and its definitely a pain to fully clean it with a magic eraser.

I was wondering if the plastic blades that come with the scrapers work without scratching? Or if anyone else has any other methods?

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
For my acrylic 400 I use a few things ..first I shut all the pumps down to prevent any light sand from floating around and getting between my magnet ..for the bottom 5 inches close to the sand I use a continuum scraper with the blue blades (plastic acrylic safe) I try and push down only then pull it off the glass and keep moving to the right or left .each time i do down ,i pull off the glass to go back up just i case there's a peice of sand stuck between the blade and glass ..then after that's all done. I use a mighty magnet ..with a dozer,or regular cleaning pad ..if i have tuff algea to get off I will use the dozer .if it's not so bad then just the regular white pads ...mighty magnets are expense but worth the money ...at the end I use acrylic cleaner for the outside novas 1 I believe..

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I use a acrylic mesh sleeve with a magnet cleaner, Albano showed me this, and it make removing the algae on the glass super easy, and you hardly have to push to do it. Also since the magnet is not completely flat against the glass it eliminates a lot of the problems of picking up sand, which will scratch the surface. These sleeve come in different sizes and will work with all types of magnets.

fireshark02

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Thank guys!

I'm definitely going to use the acrylic scraper first since i was just unsure on whether they would scratch. I looked into the mighty magnet and that can be a possibility if i get start to get too much tough algae

Marrone, i tried looking up acrylic mesh sleeve and couldnt really find anything. By any chance do you have a link?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: