Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 05:06 AM
Reefer Ratings: (48 (100%)
Friends: (18)
Send a Private Message
Acrylic tank cleaning

I was wondering what everyone with deep acrylic tanks use to clean their tanks. I normally use magic erasers but but i recently set up a 30x30x30 cube and its definitely a pain to fully clean it with a magic eraser.

I was wondering if the plastic blades that come with the scrapers work without scratching? Or if anyone else has any other methods?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2019, 06:25 AM
Reefer Ratings: (62 (100%)
Friends: (41)
Send a Private Message
For my acrylic 400 I use a few things ..first I shut all the pumps down to prevent any light sand from floating around and getting between my magnet ..for the bottom 5 inches close to the sand I use a continuum scraper with the blue blades (plastic acrylic safe) I try and push down only then pull it off the glass and keep moving to the right or left .each time i do down ,i pull off the glass to go back up just i case there's a peice of sand stuck between the blade and glass ..then after that's all done. I use a mighty magnet ..with a dozer,or regular cleaning pad ..if i have tuff algea to get off I will use the dozer .if it's not so bad then just the regular white pads ...mighty magnets are expense but worth the money ...at the end I use acrylic cleaner for the outside novas 1 I believe..
Old 04-08-2019, 08:24 AM
The All Powerful OZ
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason: Moderator badge 
Reefer Ratings: (52 (98%)
Friends: (43)
Send a Private Message
I use a acrylic mesh sleeve with a magnet cleaner, Albano showed me this, and it make removing the algae on the glass super easy, and you hardly have to push to do it. Also since the magnet is not completely flat against the glass it eliminates a lot of the problems of picking up sand, which will scratch the surface. These sleeve come in different sizes and will work with all types of magnets.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before they speak.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

It is far easier to fool people than to show them that they've been fooled.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:17 AM
Send a Private Message
Thank guys!

I'm definitely going to use the acrylic scraper first since i was just unsure on whether they would scratch. I looked into the mighty magnet and that can be a possibility if i get start to get too much tough algae

Marrone, i tried looking up acrylic mesh sleeve and couldnt really find anything. By any chance do you have a link?
Old 04-09-2019, 07:32 AM
The All Powerful OZ
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason: Moderator badge 
Reefer Ratings: (52 (98%)
Friends: (43)
Send a Private Message
Champion lighting sells them and you can buy them directly from the manufacture out in California.

https://www.championlighting.com/?ta...&including=all

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before they speak.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

It is far easier to fool people than to show them that they've been fooled.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:10 PM
Send a Private Message
Cool! I bought the scraper as of now. I will def look into a magnet at some point. Thanks for sending me the link!