Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2019, 06:11 PM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Bleached RBTAs

Heyy MR nation!

Needed help on my RBTAs. For the the past 4 or 5 months, my RBTAs have bleached. I swapped out bulbs on my 6 bulb ATI fixture around that time but have always kept the bulbs on 70% and even less at times.

My nitrates have always been on the higher end but nothing extreme. The RBTAs have always been dark pink and stringy until now. Any ideas? I've tried big multiple water changes and things haven't really improved. Meanwhile, they're strong footed and eat anything I give them.

Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails

Old 05-29-2019, 08:49 PM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Send a Private Message
First, nice clowns.

That’s an interesting picture. Never seen so many anemones bleaching like that. I’ve never had a rbta bleach like yours and I’ve had many. My tank with RBTA’s runs hot, high in nutrients and basic t5 lights and they thrive. Don’t think it’s a water quality issue. It’s got to be the lights. But t5 you use should easily do the job. My guess, too strong lights. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Reefer Ratings: (20 (100%)
Friends: (13)
Send a Private Message
I would have to say that it could be lighting because some of the anemones on top look to have some pigment left.

How tall is the tank?
Old 05-30-2019, 10:06 AM
Send a Private Message
I believe it's 16 inches tall (80 gallon deep blue rimless). So you guys suggest I ramp down the ATI T5 lights? They're at 65-70% already.

Again, I've had these RBTA's for over a span of 3-4 years as they split and grew all over the tank. Really odd this happened all of a sudden. I thought it was due to one time earlier this year when I used tap water for a water change for an emergency but I've done multiple water changes with RO since.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Last edited by frvarugh; 05-30-2019 at 10:11 AM..
Old 05-30-2019, 08:49 PM
Send a Private Message
If you had RBTA’s for years and suddenly this happened with the same light output, then water quality could be the issue. The anemones even have bulbs and are not stringy meaning light is sufficient. Some type of toxin is stressing them. Weird cause they look good but turning white. Keep us posted.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:52 PM
Send a Private Message
I don’t know your system filtration, but you might be stripping the water of all elements and nutrients causing them to stress and bleach.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:52 PM
Send a Private Message
Just a skimmer, 2 chemi-pur bags and a filter sock. I feel like there's some toxin as you mentioned because nothing has really changed in terms of filtration or lights.

Maybe I should swap out the old chemi-pures and put new ones? Thanks for the insight.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:41 AM
Send a Private Message
Lastly, looks like the rock with anemones is on sand bed. Try putting rock half way up the tank to allow more direct light. Other than that run carbon and hope for the best.