Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2019, 07:34 AM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
Sponges

Sponges. As I was washing my car yesterday I was thinking about sponges. I added this light blue sponge to my tank maybe 15 years ago and the thing really took off. I feel that is a good thing because for it to grow like that it has to be filtering a lot of gunk out of my water which is probably why it looks like gin. I may have accidently spilled a bottle of gin in there but I am not sure.

The sponge tries to grow over everything but it is very easy to trim with an Xacto knife or razor blade.
I feed my tank a lot of clams and there is a lot of clam juice that comes from that. Corals love clam juice (I think) but I am sure the sponge sucks it all up. Sponges filter about 20,000 times their own weight of seawater every day so I am sure all of my water goes through my sponges every day.

I wrote this about sponges a couple of years ago:
http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/?s=sponges

Old 06-06-2019, 07:54 AM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Rare strawberry sponge I’ll sell you, let me know

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)