Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 05:22 PM
^_^
Reefer Ratings: (19 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Thoughts with tank in basement

Currently have my 75g tank on first floor of my house I’m looking to upgrade but want the tank in the basement was looking to upgrade to around a 180g tank .. the floor is concrete ..I guess the real questions I have is what sort of temperature issues should I be concerned with the tank set up in the basement , any concerns with evaporation... where tank will be placed there’s is 2 windows close by ...ANY recommendations , thoughts or experiences with a tank in basement is greatly appreciated thanks
Old 07-01-2019, 05:59 PM
Reefer Ratings: (5 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I think tank in basement is best because no worry about water spills that can damage the floor. Basement is always cooler in the summer. If your basement is heated? than not much to worry about, otherwise 300w heater is enough for 75gl tank with 20gl sump. Only thing to keep eye out is CO2 build up in closed up basement from the boiler room. CO2 will drop the ph in the tank. Bring in some fresh air from outside will help increase the PH.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:23 PM
^_^
Send a Private Message
Ok good to know yes it will be near boiler room ..but I have 2 windows near the boiler room and where tank will be placed I will keep that in mind to circulate air and open windows
Old 07-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Reefer Always Learning
Reefer Ratings: (36 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
charlietuna has one awesome setup in his basement. 400G. And you'd never know it was there humidity-wise. if he doesn't chime in here, def pm him and pick his brain on suggestions
Old 07-01-2019, 07:36 PM
^_^
Send a Private Message
Thanks for the tip ...hopefully he chimes in , when I have time tonight I’ll check out his thread if he has one
Old 07-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Reefer Ratings: (5 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I have mine 100g in my finished basement. Winter does drive down the PH due to trapped co2 from boilers and people in the house. I drilled a hole to the outside and put the air tube into my skimmer. That raise the PH back up. No issues.
I have tile floor in the basement. No matter how careful I am, every time I work on the tank I manage to spill some water onto the floor. My first floor have hardwood floors. I don't think the wife will want to see salt water spill or salt creep on hardwood floor.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:24 PM
^_^
Send a Private Message
Although ph in a reef tank is important that’s not my real concerns ..I’m thinking more on house issues like .tank on hardwood floors , temperature, evaporation issues , humidity issues With a tank in basement...tank levels I can manage and know how to deal you know
Old 07-02-2019, 11:50 PM
Reefer Ratings: (55 (100%)
Friends: (9)
Send a Private Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic Reef View Post
Currently have my 75g tank on first floor of my house I’m looking to upgrade but want the tank in the basement was looking to upgrade to around a 180g tank .. the floor is concrete ..I guess the real questions I have is what sort of temperature issues should I be concerned with the tank set up in the basement , any concerns with evaporation... where tank will be placed there’s is 2 windows close by ...ANY recommendations , thoughts or experiences with a tank in basement is greatly appreciated thanks
my basement tank
Attached Thumbnails

Elos160 XL - Deltec Skimmer
Old 07-02-2019, 11:51 PM
Reefer Ratings: (55 (100%)
Friends: (9)
Send a Private Message
will try to get updated picture soon.
been up and running for approx 2.5 yrs now

Elos160 XL - Deltec Skimmer
Old 07-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Reefer Ratings: (3 (100%)
Friends: (10)
Send a Private Message
Had my fowlr in the basement for 8 months now. No real issues to report. Tank temp is stable at 76 with a single 150w heater and my basement is cold. pH holds at 8.0 on a hanna meter.