Were you affected by the power outages? Tips?

benjaminf

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, whenever I hear of another power outage I wonder how it might be affecting someone's fish or corals. Were you affected by the recent outages in Manhattan or Staten Island? Were you ready? This is a good opportunity to emphasize that we should be ready for the worst. What backups have the rest of you implemented? How long can you go without utility company power? What essential systems do you keep running on low power mode?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I had a computer uninterruptable power supply in the past, which would run the sump's mag 5 for 45minutes before it cut out, which was not very practical. If I had it today, I'd have a few koralia 3W wave makers or power heads, which should last a very long time. Unfortunately the UPS died 5 years after the last black out and I haven't replaced it, so it wouldn't have helped this time around anyway.

jd371

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had two power failures in the past two weeks. The first power failure I ran the main tank's pump off my Jeep's inverter and outlet until I could get the generator up and running, power outage lasted about 3 hours. I have a small battery operated air pump for the anemone tank that is in my workshop, automatically turns on when the power goes out.
Had another failure last night and unlike the first one this one was caused by the transformer that's in our backyard blowing. Usually it will take about an hour or two before they send someone to turn it back on. Since I had the generator out already from the first failure I ran the tank for the 1.5 hrs it took to get the power back on. Glad I invested in a generator last year.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 96.3%
79   3   0
Last edited:

Czynot

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
5 hour blackout on the hottest day. Con Edison intentionally cut power to 5 neighborhood in Brooklyn. I was fortunate it was Sunday evening and I was home at the time. Battery backup ran the pumps until I start up the backup generator.
If I was on vacation, outcome won?t be good.

John76

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had a outage in Brooklyn the week before the major one in manhatan it only affected a small area never made it on the news , I Am assuming it was off for 6 to 8 hours before I got home from work and when I arrived it remained off for another two hours . I walked in to all my medium sized fish , powder blue tang , marine betta etc already expired , then more passed my flame angel kole tang . In regards to coral 90 percent of my somewhat beginner sps was dead pure white others like shortcakes and such looked rough and expired the next day all my expensive frags looked terrible my crazy t , beach bum , kung pao looked real rough as well as Miami hurricane , reverse superman etc my bubble corals all dies with 72 hours from the aftershock so being conservative I'd say within 8 hours I lost four thousand in fish and coral ,, my attempt for a solution is a honda gas generator as a start and I'd like advice on never letting this happen again

Featured Sponsors