Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Reefer Ratings: (49 (100%)
Friends: (8)
Send a Private Message
Help Really High Tin Levels in my RO/DI Water

Much of my tank was wiped out a couple weeks ago. After much sleuthing I sent my water to Triton Labs and the only thing that was wrong with my RO/DI water was extremely high tin levels (see MR post https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...45#post1857045).

How do I get this out of my RO/DI water?
Old 08-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Send a Private Message
Does anybody have a suggestion? Is there an RO/DI resin that will remove the excess tin? Is there a water conditioner that will neutralize it? Kordon says their NovAqua Plus should, but I’m wondering if anyone has experience with it or some other product that is proven to remove tin that I can use in The RO/DI water before mixing in the salt.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:23 PM
Reefer Ratings: (53 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
What Container you used to storage the ro/doi water ?
Old 08-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzqkeith View Post
What Container you used to storage the ro/doi water ?
I don’t store it. I make it fresh each time. The water tested went directly from the RO/DI unit into the test tube.

I know the source of the problem, but I’m trying to figure out how to either get rid of the tin at the RO level or neutralize it before the water is even mixed with salt. This doesn’t seem to be a common problem and I can’t find any info online specifically about dealing with tin getting through an RO/DI unit.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:24 AM
Reefer Ratings: (101 (100%)
Friends: (74)
Send a Private Message
You live in Manhattan, so if the issue was with your water, everyone in NYC would have that problem. Tin is a component in solder so maybe you're picking it up from your building's pipes. Check the levels from a neighbor's apartment and someone else in Manhattan to see if the problem is isolated to just your apartment. Good luck.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please feel free to ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me, and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Check out my 120 upgrade and custom stand & canopy build here.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:49 AM
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
Have you tried Cuprisorb?

See some of the recommendations here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/be...ve-tin.463056/
Old 08-12-2019, 11:47 AM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyankfan View Post
You live in Manhattan, so if the issue was with your water, everyone in NYC would have that problem. Tin is a component in solder so maybe you're picking it up from your building's pipes. Check the levels from a neighbor's apartment and someone else in Manhattan to see if the problem is isolated to just your apartment. Good luck.
It's definitely the building. The building is new (opened in 2017) so tin leaching from solder is the most logical culprit.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Reefer Ratings: (7 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Also the new copper pipe being used is not pure copper....

My plumber was complaining about it being a pita
Old 08-13-2019, 09:38 AM
Real Estate and Reefs
Reefer Ratings: (63 (100%)
Friends: (14)
Send a Private Message
Cuprisorb should work. Long term you probably have to continue using Cuprisorb or buy your RO/DI water from a LFS or a friend who will provide you with RO/DI water every week or 2 weeks.