Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2019, 05:36 PM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Question Getting back into the hobby

After I graduated from college in 2014 I broke down my 29gal mixed reef. I have only kept a 5gal SPEC with some softies and no fish since (I maybe do a water change a few times a year).

I just bought a house and that means that I have the space to start up a tank again!!

I got a Deep blue 57gal tank a few months ago and have just been procrastinating about a stand and everything else.

I was planning on getting a nice stand and put it in my living room but determined a basement tank with a basic black stand would be better to get back into the hobby.

I will be picking up the matching stand this week.

I have a few questions since I've never had a rimless tank this big before.

1. Do I need to put a mat or something under the tank, on top of the stand to account for vibration or unevenness? I have never done this on any other tanks (even small rimless) but again, I've never had one this big.

2. What are some lights that I should consider for a tank this size? (36x18x20)
I have a cheap, Chinese made LED box that worked well for my 29 but that was only 30"

Lastly, while in college I build everything myself: sump, drilled tank, overflow, fuge etc. I don't really have the desire to do that stuff anymore so I'll be buying a sump.
Looking at the Eshopps RS-100 sump. Anyone have experience with this?

Looking forward to getting back into the hobby and getting back into the MR community.

-JA
Old 08-20-2019, 06:23 PM
Reefer Ratings: (15 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
The eshopps sumps not really well made they bow overtime know a couple of people who had them invest a little more $$ and get better one