Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
So i noticed my Hanna and Salifert kits were distancing themselves for a few months as Hanna got higher and higher...
I changed the Hanna reagent and they are back to being within .1, .2 of each other again. I wonder if Hanna's reagent doesn't last as long as they say.
But, I trust both.

Pagodazoa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I’m not a huge fan of salifert tests for the reason that it records titration left rather then titration used. This is bothersome because the air bubble from drawing the liquid out can skew results. They never really say how much liquid loss from the air bubble the test accounts for but they do take into account the air bubble from drawing. Thats just my two cents

Last edited:

DavidS

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Had similar experience of Hanna Alkalinity getting higher and higher. Returned it to BRS.
As far as Salifert....
I had 3 kits for Alkalinity; Salifert, Red Sea and Lamotte. Red Sea and Lamotte results would be virtually identical and Salifert was consistently 1.0 DKH higher.
Figured my Salifert kit was reading too high, until I performed an acid titration test and found the alkalinity as measured by this test matched my Salifert result.
Salifert, all the way.

lzqkeith

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
131   0   1
Had similar experience of Hanna Alkalinity getting higher and higher. Returned it to BRS.
As far as Salifert....
I had 3 kits for Alkalinity; Salifert, Red Sea and Lamotte. Red Sea and Lamotte results would be virtually identical and Salifert was consistently 1.0 DKH higher.
Figured my Salifert kit was reading too high, until I performed an acid titration test and found the alkalinity as measured by this test matched my Salifert result.
Salifert, all the way.

totally agree . Salifert all the way . I was use Red Sea test kit . I have to clean My wave pump every week or two weeks . Cause calcium build up inside the impeller . Thought it was normal . When I switch to Salifert I find out my calcium close to 500 , kh 9.2 and mag 1500 . Red Sea test the calcium only 430 kh 8 and mag 1360 .

DavidS

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
totally agree . Salifert all the way . I was use Red Sea test kit . I have to clean My wave pump every week or two weeks . Cause calcium build up inside the impeller . Thought it was normal . When I switch to Salifert I find out my calcium close to 500 , kh 9.2 and mag 1500 . Red Sea test the calcium only 430 kh 8 and mag 1360 .
If you are into testing Potassium, I can also recommend Salifert's test.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I trust hanah more.
I also use ATI for ICP and they test KH, not sure with what, but it always spot on.

I only stick with one testing "company" for each parameter, as all testing equipment are varied, leads to much more accuracy and stability.

i do use different brands for different tests.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: