IBernE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have two reefkeeper controllers and theyre working fine for now, but as I just got an Echo dot from amazon with alexa, I wanted to know if anyone is using this to control their reef tanks. The only way i can think of this working for a reef tank would be to get those smart plugs and having it turn equipment on and off like pumps ato etc when doing my water changes. Is anyone using these and for what commands?

Rating - 100%
575   0   0
I believe the apex is fully compatible with alexa. Anything u would do on the apex thru ur phone u can do it with alexa
U can even have alexa give u the daily “report” of ur parameters By reading ur notes.
pretty cool and reason why im building my controller with an amazon echo

Attachments

• 975F817B-E2AB-48B2-9422-964782900690.jpeg
    975F817B-E2AB-48B2-9422-964782900690.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
More useful for controlling light timers, via the smart plugs. Command would be like, OK google, turn on "name light" at 10 and turn off "named light" at 9 PM every day. For using it for a pump, unless you can schedule it, not that useful. As for using it as an main cut off pump, for lets say the sump, which may be flooding for whatever reason, you can plug it into a smart switch, but there's a good chance the smart switch gets disconnected (intermittently) so that the pump may have outages even when its should be 24/7. ie, with smart plugs, if the internet or wifi goes down, the device will be unavailable, and you're stuck with it either in the on or off position, till you reset the network. I use smart plugs all over my home.

IBernE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I believe the apex is fully compatible with alexa. Anything u would do on the apex thru ur phone u can do it with alexa
U can even have alexa give u the daily “report” of ur parameters By reading ur notes.
pretty cool and reason why im building my controller with an amazon echo
Nice set up

IBernE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
More useful for controlling light timers, via the smart plugs. Command would be like, OK google, turn on "name light" at 10 and turn off "named light" at 9 PM every day. For using it for a pump, unless you can schedule it, not that useful. As for using it as an main cut off pump, for lets say the sump, which may be flooding for whatever reason, you can plug it into a smart switch, but there's a good chance the smart switch gets disconnected (intermittently) so that the pump may have outages even when its should be 24/7. ie, with smart plugs, if the internet or wifi goes down, the device will be unavailable, and you're stuck with it either in the on or off position, till you reset the network. I use smart plugs all over my home.
Yes I saw many reviewers on Amazon mention connectivity issues at times. Definitely something to think about

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I have my echo dot hooked up to my apex. It can pretty much controller everything from turning on/off feed cycles to turning on and off outlets and status reports. You just need to add and Aliase to inputs and outputs

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
For Google, in the past I managed to get it working with IFTTT and a small computer hooked "to the outside world". It was clunky and very unsecure so I never used it practically. But apparently now Google does not support IFTTT anymore, so until Neptune comes out with an official hook, it is Alexa only.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: