Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Honestly, a Peltier-based chiller on that kind of volume is not going to work well (I assume it is that) unless you want to spend thousands of dollars in electricity every month. It is better to buy a small conventional chiller. On my 25 gallon, I used this before I switched to LEDs and not require it anymore (an APEX-programmed fan is enough now):

As for the ATO, the Tunze Osmolator is king.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Want to chime in on nano tank ATO. I bought this little gadget that seemed to good to be true, but it works!!!

WuwouChy auto top off

All you do, is take an Evian water bottle (1.5 liter) and stick it in this little adapter that sits on the rim of of your rimless tank. No electric pump. Just gravity and it works awesome!!! I use two of them. So price for both is $30.

top off.JPG

Not sure what I will do for a chiller. I have purchased 2 fans to sit on top of my tank, to see how that goes.

aclman88

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Want to chime in on nano tank ATO. I bought this little gadget that seemed to good to be true, but it works!!!

WuwouChy auto top off

All you do, is take an Evian water bottle (1.5 liter) and stick it in this little adapter that sits on the rim of of your rimless tank. No electric pump. Just gravity and it works awesome!!! I use two of them. So price for both is $30.

View attachment 249370

Not sure what I will do for a chiller. I have purchased 2 fans to sit on top of my tank, to see how that goes.
Your can also buy on AliExpress for even cheaper! Great to hear it works I almost bought that but ended up building my own ATO

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
try a 4" boxfan (120mm) for 15 bucks and see if it cools your tank down enough. I would lower my temp by 86 to 82 during the summer, with minimal room air conditioning. when the room is around 80, it would cool it down to 72 or 74, which was a bit too much. That's with the fan simply blowing down over the water surface. You can also exhaust heat from the lighting, if you have a canopy, with another fan, which would probably increase the impact. The more air flow, the faster it cools. There are some high flow audio cabinet/computer fans with speed controllers. There are also whisper quiet clip on models for aquarium use with single, double or even triple fans setups.

Last edited:

aclman88

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
try a 4" boxfan (120mm) for 15 bucks and see if it cools your tank down enough. I would lower my temp by 86 to 82 during the summer, with minimal room air conditioning. when the room is around 80, it would cool it down to 72 or 74, which was a bit too much. That's with the fan simply blowing down over the water surface. You can also exhaust heat from the lighting, if you have a canopy, with another fan, which would probably increase the impact. The more air flow, the faster it cools. There are some high flow audio cabinet/computer fans with speed controllers. There are also whisper quiet clip on models for aquarium use with single, double or even triple fans setups.

I also use a fan with success. Granted I have a 3.7 gallon pico reef, but I use a small computer fan (~2-3”) placed on top of the open aquaclear filter and have it blowing down on the water as it travels through the filters output. It helped alot during the summer to keep me tank cool. I would also try a fan before spending a lot on a chiller. Just a heads up though, it increases evaporation a ton (which is how it works to cool the tank) so your ATO will need to be filled more regularly

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
I used the chill solutions for years on my Biocube. Depending on your needs it works. It works by “mosfet”(? I think I have it right ) cooling. It won’t be able to keep your tank cool if u need it to drop your tank more than like 3-4 degrees but at the price point imo it’s a very good unit. I had the older non digital version and was extremely reliable.

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
Yes it has a little pump u place in the “sump “ area of your tank and it pumps to the unit and then back into the return area of your sump. The pump they included worked flawlessly for 4 years so although a little pricey imo worth it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: