Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I am not sure of the time frame but about 2 or 3 years ago I bought a pair of Gecko Gobies

They would hide in the rocks so well that I never caught sight of an entire fish, just a fin or tail very occasionally.

I would "shoot" food near their cave and sometimes, in a split second see something dart after the food, so fast I wasn't sure if I was actually seeing a fish or just day dreaming about Christie Brinkley. :love:

Maybe every 3 months I got almost a good view of one at night with a flashlight. (I had the flashlight, not the fish)

Then a year or more went by and I didn't see them but I kept shooting food there in the hope they were still in there.

Probably 6 months ago, I gave up trying to feed them as I was sure they were dead.

Just now, as I was waiting for a computer program to load (which never did, but it crashed my computer) I was following my Janss Pipefish as he snaked through the rocks and for a split second, I thought I saw the tail of one of those gobies.

Then I realized that I am old and was probably just hallucinating, (To much Grand Marnier last night) But I kept looking knowing I would only see bristleworms, which I did. Plenty of them.

Just as I started to look away, There he was. Or part of him, but they are a very un mistaking looking, very beautiful fish. I can't believe that fish was hiding, lurking in there all this time. He is twice the size I remember him and I can only assume his mate is also still in there someplace.

My tank is 6' long and I built most of the rock in very long pieces so that almost none of it actually touches the gravel but is suspended just above it. The entire underside of my reef is caves that all connect to one another so Godzilla can hide in there for a good two weeks and If I didn't see his wet footprints on my floor, I would never know he was there. :rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
hmm, what have I lost in my tank... Had a horseshoe crab show up 2 years later, went in the refugium's deep sand bed, the size of a quarter, didn't know I still had it until it showed up the size of a baseball, at which point it died. Was probably living off all the bristle worms I had in there, till he got too big to maneuver, to get into the far reaches within the sand bed. I was pretty surprised.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: