cgbexec

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point that I wanted to make in the begining got lost in my head before I could make it. Fish to some extent are a renueable resource. Coral colonies to some extent are renueable. Live rock is not a renueable resource, at least in our life time. Once the rock is removed from the ocean it is gone. The only way to replace it is to put dry base rock back in it's place which is not happening in places like Figi yet. If Figi has a huge amount of live rock, with a relative small population, then it is very hard for a government to cut off everyone who is making a living in the live rock buisness. I just wish that there was some way for them to replace the live rock with base rock to replace what was taken from the ocean. That is why aquacultured rock sounded like a viable option.

Chris
icon_biggrin.gif

GMH320

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the live rock I see at LFS is really crap! I have better stuff in my back yard. I just recently bought 45 lbs from fishsupply.com and it has a tremendous amount of coraline on it, in all different colors. I also got 30 lbs of premium stuff from Gulf-view and that was loaded with clams, and macro.

ramgod

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only decent rock i can find in michigan is at tropicorium, I ask for peices that have been sitting in the end of their propagation pools for years, not their LR holding tank, that stuff moves through to quick. preuses in okemos occasionally gets good rock but not as consistantly as i would like.

LilBugger225

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock at most LFS lately has looked like crap, devoid of life and color. I am looking for a much cheaper and better alternative. Has anyone ordered from Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock? www.tbsaltwater.com They claim to sell their rock wet but I haven't ordered from them yet. I planned on possible ordering from them soon but I don't want rock that is crap. Has anyone had any experience with them? or could make a better suggestion?

TIA

Erica
icon_cool.gif

jimbo

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently (a few months ago) bought rock from Paragon in CT. (www.paragonsales.com) It's full of life, polyps, and macroalgae, even a homely coral or 2 if you are lucky.
The thing is, Paragon's rock IS from Walt Smith. I guess they are just real specific about what they want, and then they cure it carefully.

Jazzcat

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bubafat:
<STRONG>the other main place that I know of that sells aquacultured rock is www.gulf-view.com

Buba</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have concerns about this MO (although they are not unique to this FS). They sell nudibranches, but don't indicate how delicate and nearly impossible they are to keep. They sell Fire Coral, but don't disclose the fact that they can administer a very painful sting. They sell gorgonians and sponges, but don't explain their unique feeding needs. I know this is not abnormal, after all, they're in business to sell stuff, not to discourage customers. But still, it just doesn't seem right.

cgbexec

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I ordered from Tampa Bay Saltwater. The rock is awsome. They do ship wet. Because the rock is never left out of the water, nothing dies. The rocks are covered in Coraline Algae, Macro Algae, Clams, Barnacles, sponges, Coral, Ect.........

I highly recommend them. Good Luck.

Chris
icon_biggrin.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: