grimreefer1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I am planning on setting up the icecap retrofitted VHO lamps on a 5 foot, 24" deep, 100 gallon tank. The question is, is 4 watts per gallon really enough? I won't be keeping SPS or clams, but it still seems low considering the depth of the tank. I guess I will keep the light lovers near the surface?

Does anyone have a similar setup?

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: grimreefer ]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want to keep?
For some things that should be enough light, for others it will not be enough.

Veng68

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how deep of a sand bed will you have? If you use a 4-6 inch deep sand bed then effectively your depth would be 18-20 inches which would be good for some LPS and soft corals.

Cheers,
Victor

canadawest

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've described exactly the setup I have, everything I keep is thriving.

100gal (5' long, 20" high) 4x48" (110W) VHO

I have two Hammer Corals, Torch Coral, Galaxy Coral, Pulsing Xenia, Bubble Tip Anemone, Acropora (sp?), Baby Maxima Clam, and assorted mobile Inverts and fish.

bgdiving

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
grimreefer, you should be fine with that lighting. I have less on one of my tanks. I only have 300 watts total on a 170 6ft by 18" and it's a deep tank. My green polyped purple acroporas are doing fine in the upper portions of the tank about 4 to 6 inches below the surface and other types of corals are doing fine all the way on the bottom. My lighting consist of 2x55 watt PCs, 4X40 watt and 4x15 watt Normal out put florecents. You'll need to keep the light loving corals near the surface and brighter areas of the tank. Just watch where you place your corals.

Paul A. Ifkovits

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone's comments. Except....
I have a 120 gallon 24" deep tank. I have 6 VHO's and 5" dsb. Moderate light loving corals do not do well if I place them on my substrate.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: