Stringztoo1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairly new reef started. Right now corals include a clam, yellow leather, pulsating xenia, and some blue shrooms. I also have a Percula, Dwarf Pygmy, and a Psychadelic and Mandarin Dragonets.

Now the dwarf Pygmy Angel spends most of his time in the caverns of the LR. The Percula on the other hand doesn't have a "home". He just swims aimlessly around the tank. I feel bad for him and want to get him an anemone.

My question is:
Can I safely put an anemone in there without endangering any of the other coral, and if so, can you recommened an anemone for a Percula? He seems awful lonely in there, and I want to make my animals as happy as I can so they feel as if they're in the natural habitat.

Thanks so much!
icon_biggrin.gif

Stringztoo1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by naesco:
<STRONG>No!
Keeping anenome is for experts. Sorry.
icon_smile.gif
</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, well since I'm not an "expert", can you tell me what I'm allowed to do?

BradB

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am not an 'expert', but I have heard of Mandarins and other small fish getting eaten by anemones, and anemones will sting corals they touch. Personally, I don't plan on ever keeping an anemone - they are a risk to tankmates, they are hard to keep, they move, and they don't look nearly as cool as torch, frogspawn or elegance. Percs only seek anemones for protection from predators (which I hope you don't have in your tank) - and if you still think they need a host, they will adopt most LPS corals instead of an anemone. If you have to have an anomene, I'd go with something like a bubble-tip.

Stringztoo1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't have to have anything... I just feel bad for the Percula. Will he take up residence in a Plate coral or something with tentacles?

Also, no predators here, just what I described above.

[edit: misspelling]
icon_biggrin.gif

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Stringztoo ]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a plate or elegance coral.The clown may try that out. With your experience and a dense stocking of corals an anemone may sting or be stung unnecessarily.

GL

Dan

blue jaw

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to what size your tank is and how much live rock? Also how long you have been set up?

I notice you have 2 mandarins. Are you aware of their special needs and requirements? If not, I urge you to research further. Unless you have a huge well established tank, more than likely they are going to quickly run out of appropriate food. Which could lead to one, or both, of them starving to death. Something that happens all together too often in captivity.

I would also be concerned about having keeping two mandarins of the same sex together as they will often fight (particularly two males). Do you know the sexes of your two fish?

Perculas will often take up with many easy to care for corals- frospawn, hammer, bubble etc. I would suggest trying one of those before attempting an anenome in your reef. IMO, They tend to do much better in a dedicated tank because of their requirements and tendacy to roam.

Bob Gardner

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider myself to be fairly experienced with reef tanks but I have never been able to keep an anemone that is suitable for clown fish alive in my Reef tank. They just wander around looking for the right spot and eventualy die or disappear into the rocks. I shall no longer try to keep one in this tank and my Percula's seem to be fine. If I ever again decide to try an anemone with Clowns it will be in a tank set up for that purpose. I do not think that you should get an anemone and also I strongly advise you against keeping Mandarins until your tank is very mature and only then if you have investigated their needs and do not have any competing species in the tank. I would also comment that I have seen several types of clowns breeding without having an anemone in the tank.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a new debate. It depends on what the person really wants to do, there are good alternatives to anemones. Here is some info for you that I think is fairly unbiased, although not an expert.

Random information: There are some anemones that can't be easily maintained, but if you do your readings and have it properly set up.. then it is possible. A lot of people have problems with their anemones getting sucked into the powerhead, etc - if they don't prepare in advance. Some concerns are that anemones don't live as long in the tank as they do in the wild, so don't buy one if you aren't going to take care of it
icon_smile.gif
. Therefore other soft corals are a good alternative, a bubble, elegance, etc. Fish are often eaten by anemones, even if well fed, as they get too close. Therefore you have to try to set your tank appropriately. They need a certian level of light. Your anemone will roam if it is unhappy, sometimes stumbling on other corals and stinging them. You will be feeding them every 2 weeks or so. As anything you put in your tank, its possible - but it takes a lot of work.

My experience: I have a seabay anemone in my tank. My maroon clown loves it and I love making my clown happy. It pesters the bubble soft corals expecially, during the period of its waiting for the seabay. The bubble tip anemone sounds wonderful to me, you may even be able to get one that has split from someone else's. I got a LTA after my first tank was well set-up and traded it for the seabay after I had better lights.

How fairly new is your reef? How large is it?

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall right, this was your ealier post:
"My tank has been setup for 2 months........My Livestock:
Crocea Clam
Yellow Leather
Pulsating Xenia
Florescent Blue Mushrooms
Percula Clown
Psychadelic and Mandarin Drogonets
Blue Legged & Emerald Crabs
3 Snails

My Setup:
37 gallon
130W lights (2x65W actinic/2 Aquasun)
model 60 Sealife wet/dry pump
Sealife skimmer
Rio 900 Power head"

I highly recommend against purchasing an anemone for your tank. A fully expanded anemone could've easily cover up most of your tank. Leaving all others either got stinged, or sting back in retaliation. Percula does not need to have a host to be happy. It can do fine by itself perfectly. I have seen most percula claims a home in the carpet anemone. I have 2 LTA's and I have never observe percula swimming in it. For you to get an anemone (Carpet or not) you are endangering the lives of your reef tank.

I have a feeling that even though most people speak against getting an anemone, you will still get it. As almost a week ago people speak against you keeping 2 mandarins. You ignored people's suggestion and still went on with it. BTW, if you observe closely, and sees mandarin's stomach is caved in, Then I really do feel sorry for your fishes.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for asking the question before you went out and bought one.
Many people go out there and buy fish or coral without knowing anything and they die in the tanks.
I would recommend that you add nothing further to your tank. It appears everything is healthy and happy which means that you are doing a good job.
By adding anything more you are taking a big risk not only for the animal but the pets you already have in your tank.
Good luck with the hobby.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, strike three.

No need to be nasty you all. Sure, people on here can be rather full of their oppinion, but I think everyone means well. Sometimes the God complex people feel is taken a little too far.

Stringztoo1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quillen:
<STRONG>lol, strike three.

Sometimes the God complex people feel is taken a little too far.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're not kidding! All I asked was if I could get some advice about anemones, and the first post back says I'm not "qualified" to, and then this other guy tells me I'm not following "their" advice. Come on! I thought reefers were people who want to pass down knowledge, not judgement!

Oh, and if your kid is five and sounds like me, bravo! At least he can both argue his point and he takes what you tell him with a grain of salt!

To StrikeThree.... come on man, what are the odds! You're not out... funny none the less...
icon_biggrin.gif

ncosper

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that I noticed was not spoken of is the size of the anenomes vs the tank size. Most anenomes that will host a clown or are even availible for the consumer are just going to plain get to big for a 37 gallon. The tentacles from the anenome will most likely kill your corals once they come into contact with them. Plus since it is a 37 your fish may be in a bit of danger only because of the size. I currently have a fairly small anenome in a 60 and everyday I am considering getting rid of it because its just getting to big. I would hate to see a fish get chased right into it. If you think you have room for about a basketball in your tank and have that entire area clear of other corals, then go for it. If not your probably going to lose something. Anenomes aren't too tough to care for if you pick them properly, and care for them properly.
Make sure you remember though, your clown will be just fine without a host. He may even decide someday that one of your corals will suffice for a host.

Rick

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
schism,
you are so right .I started out with one small bta,it split into three .two of them are the size of basketballs and one I'd say is the size of a soccer ball .
My tank is 125 gl.six feet long and devoted primaraly to these three anems and a pair of maroon clowns .They take up 2 and 1/2 plus feet of my tank .
I'm always having to move shrooms and things further down stream to make room for growth .

wasabi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here goes, string me up.i have an lta in a 25 gallon reef. its clarki's home. it has been thriving for 5 months. it would have wound up withering away to nothing at the lfs as most of their anenomes do anyway. i am going to transfer it to my 55 in a couple of months. the tanks just 3 months old now.ive heard all the negatives about owning anenomes.the possibility that it wont survive is their along with any inhabitant you add to your tank.ill take the risk.tighten the noose and hang me now

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that no one is perfect. It is easier to be nasty, then to say things properly and nicely. Being 22 and idealistic, I think anything is possible, even common curtesy and love for each other
icon_smile.gif
. (I know, you asked about ANEMONES and not society issues
icon_smile.gif
)

my tank is 39
icon_wink.gif
gallons and I haven't had a problem. I pass on anything that has split and have a wonderful LFS that is my lifeline to marine tanks. Fred's cove is to one side of the tank and he keeps the other fish from coming close to his hole/anemone, I built the rock structure around where the anemone picked for its home. The area above the anemone is blocked off with rock and the fish swim happily and safely out of reach.

Stringztoo1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wasabi:
<STRONG>the possibility that it wont survive is their along with any inhabitant you add to your tank.ill take the risk.tighten the noose and hang me now</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish I could convey the clapping of hands on here. Thanks for the info and the advice and not any berating!

icon_cool.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: