Reefer Dude1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we were having a birthday party for my daughter and guests started to arive. Well the first thing she did was start to show the guests my reef tank. I few seconds later she came up to me and told me all my fish were laying on the bottom of the tank dead. Well nothing gets your heart going faster then being told that your fish are dead. Well as I walked up to the tank I noticed all the fish are laying on the bottom, but not dead. Well I quickly noticed the back end of my stupid black cucumber (I always hated the thing) sticking out of my Mag 5 pump. Well as you can tell the cucumber got stuck in the pump and was chopped up. I had two other tanks that were cycling and I pulled all the fish out and put them in the other tanks. I figured that was better then letting them stay in the tank. I did a 50% water change to. Nothing like doing a 50% water change with a house full of guests and kids. You are sitting there freaking out that the whole tank is dead and they are all comenting on how beautiful the tank is. To me a bunch of colorful fish laying on the bottom of the tank, and a bunch of closed corals is not beautiful. Well I lost my yellow and purple tang, and my fox face rabitfish. I also think I lost my goby. My clown is hanging in there, but I am not sure if it is going to pull through. After I did the water change all my corals opened up againg. Does cucumber poison affect corals? What should I do now? I will do another water change tomorrow, and another large one on Tuesday. Should I run some carbon also? I figure I need to wait about a month before I add anything to the tank. The only thing is I have a T. Maxima clam being shipped that I will have on Tuesday. My other two tanks just are not ready for anything yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always.

spectral_ranger

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Very awful! I just stupidly put my whole tank at risk for reasons I may state later, and if I'm lucky won't lose anything (although one chromis is MIA). But just seeing my poor fish suffer is the worst feeling.

You're lucky you had those other tanks cycling. If either has high ammonia or nitrites, I'd stick all the cycling rocks in one of the tanks and try to get the chemistry of one tank in good order, even if it requires freshly made water. I'd also use a poly filter on your poisoned tank, I hear that's better for toxins than carbon. This is probably the final bad cucumber story I've heard to swear me off them forever! Again, sorry for your loss...
icon_sad.gif

Chris

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that.
I was not planning on it but cukes and sea apples are off my list.

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. What a day...

At any rate, definitely run something to take the toxins out--either carbon or the polyfilter. Good luck.

pez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that the poison released by dead/dying cucumbers only affect fish. That corals are immune. I guess that is the case here. Sorry for you loss.

-Tom

Reefer Dude1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was checking out one of the tanks I put the dying fish this morning and my Goby head was popping out. He was alive and well, so after this whole ordeal my Goby was the only one that made it. At least I saved one fish. Crazy thing is that 50% water change has done wonders for my tank. I have never look so clear the the polyp extentions on my corals are larger then I have ever seen them. Crazy isn't it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: