Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 55gal w/ 2 48" 110w VHO's and 2 40w 6500K NO flours. i have them mounted w/ bulb clips on the top of the canopy. the 2 NO's have internal reflectors but the vho's do not. the inside of my canopy is painted black...didn't think much about reflection when i built my canopy

i have a couple of white metal reflectors that i could put on the 2 vho's. i would leave the NO's because they have internals. the lights are about 9" away from the water.

so my ? is would i actually gain that much more light into the tank if i put the 2 reflectors on there? it is gonna be a pain taking the lights off, unwireing, mounting reflectors, mount bulbs, make sure they aren't in the way, rewire...all that bs. would it be worth it??

thanks
Lunchbucket

Grumpy Vet

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you LB.......gonna suck to take em off....but I say yepperdoodles.......pull it.....and put the reflectors in if you have them....

While it will be a pain in the touche'....you know you love goofin' w/ the tank..... Go for it...

GV

Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't know if i love messing w/ it that much. i just don't want to take the time and trouble.

will it make a difference? my corals are doing fine now. would the do better?

later
Lunchbucket

Grumpy Vet

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can make up a bunch of crap about the absorption rate of the spectrum of the VHO bulbs bleeding into your black ( light absorbing color) canopy and not providing beneficial spectral nutrients via luminescence to your tank......but I know someone on this board will call my bluff...

How much light is wasted via no internal reflector and no reflector above???

I have no real knowledge.....my guess? To a black hood - 25-30 percent of the candle power, lumens, luminosity, spectral intensity is being pissed away......

It is a guess....only a guess.....I'd say put it in.....you made the post....you are thinking about it.....won't take long......can't hurt.....

Nike: Just do it.

GV

Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah yeah yeah....when i get time. don't think that will be till next week of so. hopefully sooner.

thanks
Lunchbucket

Lunchbucket

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i broke down and did it last night. what a pain...oh well all for the better. i think it is a little brighter in there.

thanks
Lunchbucket

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: