pscheel

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm looking to get some backup power recommendations for my two reef tanks. It would need to run two skimmers, 4 powerheads, and the lighting for both tanks. I've seen 1000watt and 2000 watt units. The 1000 watt seems to fit my need. However, how long would it power the equipment in terms of hours. Also if anyone can steer me to a good brand would be appreciated. TIA

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pscheel--I'm not sure how long it would last, but if you're looking at it for emergencies only, then I'd calculate just based on the pumps and leave the lights out of the equation. Your tank will do fine for a day or two without lights (storm on the reef), but without pumps, depending on your system, you could start losing livestock in 8 hours, perhaps less. From a cost/benefits analysis, I'd shop around based on the anticipated power requirements for the pumps only and not worry about the lights.

pscheel

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James,pumps only, I will need an inverter rated at 200-300 watts. Would it make sense to still get a larger rated inverter (are they more efficient?) or would I just be wasting $$$. Thanks.

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really depends on how long you want it to last and how long power failures typically last in your area. On my system, I'd be comfortable with one that would run the main return pump and skimmer only, for 12 hours or so, because I live close in and power outages are often repaired within the same hour, and the power's never been out for more than 7-8 hours. (I don't have a UPS or inverter right now--but that's what I'd be comfortable with on my system.)

blinky

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pscheel:
<STRONG>The 1000 watt seems to fit my need. However, how long would it power the equipment in terms of hours. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, well lets see... 1000 watts, at 12 volts that would be approximatley 83.3 amps, assuming 100% efficiency of the inverter. A 100AH deep cycling battery could probably run for an hour before dropping too much voltage to work properly. Also your looking at running #0 or #2 awg wire to handle that kind of current.

You might want to only run a pump and heater off the inverter.

Brian

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: