Jay1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the members at large. I am currently cycling (been going about 3 weeks now) a 45 Gal tank with 90 lbs of LR and about 3-4 inch LS bed. I am starting to get some Diatoms and Hair algae but not horrible amounts. I was considering getting one of those "clean up" crews, but it sound like it makes more sense to add stuff as needed instead of all at once.

Therefore, what should I be adding now and what should I add later in what order and what amounts?

Jay

GMH320

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with those package deals is that you get too much too soon. Once you factor in the cost of shipping is it really that much cheaper than buying from a LFS? By buying locally you can introduce things a little at a time (especially important for a new tank) and not have to worry about added stress from a delivery guy tossing the box all over the truck.

hectina

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good Jay,

I am not against purchasing clean-up crews via MO. I just feel that some are too large or are poorly matched. For example, if i were cycling a new 100 gallon tank, I would purchase a small basic crew (just snails and hermit crabs) for a twenty gallon tank. If you need more, pick them up later. If you get hair algae, buy one emerald crab.

BReefCase

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snook65 -- I really didn't mean to hold myself up as some kind of expert on everyone else's tank, but I'll try to answer.

When starting a new tank, I follow the critter mix of all the species I recommended to grimreefer in my earlier post in this thread.

Start with a mix of snails and hermits not more than about 1 critter per 2 gallons. You can add more later if needed and if the tank will support them long term. That means only 6 or 8 of each type to start, but obviously you want to get proportionally more of the smaller snails like Nassarius and Cerith and fewer of the big ones big ones like Trochus. For crabs, I like PA scarlet hermits and their black-and-whites, and IPSF micros.

If you have a DSB, getting the bristle worms, spaghetti worms, 'pods, and mini-stars is just as important as the traditional snails and hermits. (The numbers of these don't count toward the per-gallon total of snails and hermits.)

If saving money is important, hectini's advice is very good -- buy one of the more diverse "package deals," but get one sized for a much smaller tank, like a 50 or 60 gallon.

By the way, if you are new to reefing, reading and learning enough about each species to make your own informed decisions is a much better idea than following my advice!

BReefCase

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[Oh no -- another double post -- and this time it's not me! What's wrong with this thing?]

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: BReefCase ]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: