ging

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had about 5 turbo snail die in the last month. I have Bumble Bee and Astrea snails and they seem to be doing fine. Is there something that I need to look for or do they just do that??

ging

zt allstar

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you acclimating? They have really sensitive internal organs and a fast change in SG could do them in.

2poor2reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is your system and how much do they have to eat? How old is your system? We often stock up during algae outbreaks and then maintain these populations after the algae subsides. Like all ecosystems things will die to bring the food supply back into balance.

jethro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have that problem with Turbos until I learned that they need aclimated over a long period of time.

They are very sensitive. Another thing to keep in mind is the pet store my not have acclimated them properly.

They need calcium and iodine levels to be maintained. If I am not keeping up with that, they get sluggish to almost inactive.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure your salinity and then take a sample to another reefer or the LFS to verify same.
In addition to acclimatization, low salinity can cause this problem. Mine is at 35 gm/litre
icon_razz.gif
pm (1.026) If it is too low raise it up slowly.

ging

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank for 5 mths and it is 60 gal. I will check the salinity, calcium and iodine levels tomorrow and go the LFS and have them do the same. I would say that my problem is the acclimatization, I got 4 of them 2 weeks ago and gave about a hour to sit and add water slowly. Poor little guys, obviously I went to fast
icon_sad.gif
I have about 10 total mix of turbo, bumble bee and Astrea snails. Is that to many or not enough? I feed my fish mysis one day and flake the next and do not clean the back glass so they will have something to eat. I will read the above article and get some more info on them. Thanks for all the info will take a different approach on the next batch.

ging
icon_smile.gif

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you stay away from the Astrea snails.
They fall off the glass or rock and have difficulty turning over again. This activity attracts the hermits who have a happy meal.

ging

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any hermits, they kinda creep me out for some reason
icon_wink.gif
Should I get some for the tank ?? I will also stay away from the astera from now on
icon_smile.gif

ging

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put anything I don't like in my tank. There are so much stuff out there that I do like. On the other hand one or two hermits are interesting to watch.

ging

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look at them again when im at the LFS
icon_smile.gif
I will try to have a more open mind about them this time... heheh
Thanks for the info !!

ging
icon_smile.gif

CnT

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with my snails dying one by one... the culprit was a 3" teddybear crab tat came in with some LR... after some poking around i finally skewered the bugger n fed him to my picasso... since then the remaining snails r all fine...

HTH...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: