percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep as many clowns toghether as you want except an exception or two... premnas... ocellaris si good for 2+ but I doubt more than a pair will be established in a 65...

a novice

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be better to buy them in wild pairs or small tank raised?
When you say that they wouldn't get 'established' in a 65 gallon do you mean that the tank is too small or that they wouldn't pair off in their ananome? Thanks

percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Never buy a wild pair, unless they are breeding/spawning, its a joke..
2. Never buy wild clowns, you can get most better looking TR.
3. Buy the TR ones, you can get these in conditioned spawning pairs ($$$$$!)
4. Established I mean its a small tank and unless they never come in contact wiht each other, there would be one dominant female for the entire tank. I cant word it right at this moment...

a novice

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I understand what you're saying. By having one female there would be fighting among the males to become her mate?
icon_confused.gif
What about buying two larger fish(females) and two smaller fish?Thanks

percula

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not that great at explaining I can see. It would be easier to buy Joyce Wilkerson's book Clownfishes. But here we go...

The problem would be having two females in the tank. They would compete with each other, and one would be killed most likely. (juv -> male -> female) thats there lifecycle, they cant go backwards. Ummm... thus, you should only have 1 larger fish (female) for your tank. It is a small tank roughly, so... you can have only 1 female and as many lil ones as you want, they will compete to be male, no problem. I suggeest that you get two clowns. Easiest thing to do. If you want to breed them, good luck, but forget it. Hope I can get the points across... I do apologize if I am confusing you.

a novice

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has successfully kept more thank two clownfish in a tank? How many do you have and what size tank are they in? I was wondering if I could keep two pairs of tank raised false percula in my 65 gallon fish only tank. Thanks! Also, what species are they?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: