Toadally1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read in Eric Borneman's new book that devil's hand leathers are very toxic to hard corals. Anyone keep them together, and if so have you seen any side effects of doing so.

I do have one, but haven't noticed any problems as of yet. They are pretty close to each other. According to the book they don't have to touch.

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I've got a large (14") Devil's hand and 2 Acroproa in my 180g, and all are doing fine. (up until my Rio failure).
I do notice the waxy film that is shed from the Devil's hand lands on the SPS every now and then, but with my wave timer set for every three minutes, it's soon blown off. I'm contemplating running carbon on a regular basis for toxins that may build up in the system as a whole.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devil's Hand leathers (Lobophytum sp.) are not too dissimilar from Sarcophyton sp. Eric, if I recall correctly, usually writes about the various terpenoid toxins associated with the genus Sarcophyton.

I've never had a problem mixing soft corals with stonies. Provided enough water movement, protein skimming, and tank volume, toxins should be a nonissue. I don't know if carbon alone is capable of resolving the problem (O3 is, however). I have 3 Sarcophyton species, a Lobophytum specimen, several Sinularia, a Cladiella sp., and a fe other soft corals species with my predominatly SPS populated tank; no problems whatsoever.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: