• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

North Bay 101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far in the last month my Alk has dropped from 10 to 7 and my calcium level has dropped from 450 to 375. I am replacing the evaporated water with Kalkwasser. Dripping about 4 gallons a week. I have lots of coralline algae, medium acro and 3 small acro frags. pH is 8.4 . I would like the alk to be closer to 10 and calcium above 425. Any thoughts or suggestions?
icon_confused.gif

somethings fishy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test for Magnesium. I had a similar problem and magnesium was the cause. You could also be dripping your kalk to fast which i believe makes it have the opposite effect that you are looking for.FWIW

jmeader

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If alk and cal become unbalanced, the first thing I check is mag. However, it appears that both have come down together and are still fairly well balanced. I would first suspect that you are not dripping enough kalk to compensate for the rate of depletion.

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your SG? It's possible that your SG has dropped, which will result in a corresponding drop in Ca and alk.

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your mag. Also I'd tend to agree with jmeader--your rate of consumption is exceeding the rate of addition.

You mention that you have "lots of coralline." Jmeader probably has hit this one right on the head. You'll either have to increase the amount of kalk you're dripping or use other supplementation protocols to keep up with it.

You can check mag, but I doubt that's the issue on this one. I'd bet on jmeader's response.

North Bay 101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also put Kent Essential Elements into the sump weekly. This stuff has Calcium, Iodine, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Molybdenum and Potassium. I put in one capfull per week. I have a 46 bow.

Thanks
icon_smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: