Stringztoo1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up today to find my Pygmy Angel with friggin whitespot and it's started to spread to my Blonde Naso. More on the pygmy but I've got 5 other fish as well as a hammer torch, shrooms, yellow leatherm Tridacna and Xenia.

Can anyone recommend a good reefsafe whitespot treatment? I trust people who might have used it before...rather than a guy named Larry at the LFS who thinks sea urchins are "cool dude"! Thanks so much, the quicker, the better for all my livestock.

Joe_B

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personaly tested Kick Ich and although I didn't find any ill affects my recommendation would be remove the fish to a Q tank for treatment. Good Luck and take care. Treating fish isn't easy, read what ever you can find to help.

Peace,
Joe_B

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U.V. or Ozone, choose your weapon. Iradiate or vaporize, i personally prefer the latter. As for treatment of symptoms allot of you guys recomend Kick Ick, Garlic or a copper based treatment administered in a hospital tank. Good luck!

Stringztoo1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much. Luckily, a few of the spots were only bubbles, but there's still about 2 small white spots, one on the dorsal fin and the belly area that I am worried about. He's in a Q tank and I already ran to a LFS and administered some Kick Ick and hope things will turn for the better. Thanks again you guys!

FMarini

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi:
There are a number of supposed reefsafe medicine(there mainly antibiotic based), and they may or maynot work for you. I would do a search for kick ich, as this is the most common example/
If you want a real cure then you have 2 choices. Copper or hyposalinity. Never of which you can use in a tank w/ inverts. So I would recommedn you remove the effected fish and treat in a quarentine tank(which can be nothing more than a rubbermaid tub and a sponge filter).
Lastly, Ozone and Uv will not do much for an ongoing ich infection. For either of these methods to work the actual parasite must pass thru the unit. As you know Ick is attached to the fish, once it drops off its stays in the rockwork, and some(but not all) are free floating-theese will be elimianted. So IMHO Uv and O3 are ineffective at controlling an ongoing parasite.
spend your money on a quarentine tank
my opinion
frank

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: