• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?

JOIN NOW

Mickes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you test the pH of RO/DI water, you are usually testing the pH of the test kit itself... Also RO/DI water does lean toward the Acid side cause of CO2 that has been absorbed by the water.

kazzoo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mickes and Jdeets are correct. RO/DI will have a pH slightly on the acidic side because of carbon dioxide dissolution in the water.

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon Dioxide? From where? The atmosphere?

We all know that pure water doesn't conduct electricity very well, so how do you measure the pH of pure water with an electronic pH probe?

-Nathan

Mickes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nathan: You can't test for pH on RO/DI water with one of the pH probes that we normally use in the hobby. I think, however, that the multi thousand $$ lab grade pH probes will do the trick.

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that's why I was getting *REALLY* crazy readings when I tried to test pH of my RO/DI water...
icon_eek.gif

-Nathan

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it possible to measure the pH of pure H2O if there are no other chemicals in it? Does it even have a pH?

We all know that pure water doesn't conduct electricity very well, so how do you measure the pH of pure water with an electronic pH probe?

-Nathan

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: Nathan ]

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I would *expect* as well. However, usually it will actually have a pH that is somewhat acidic. Mine tests at 5.5 straight out of the unit.

Tanu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed, carbon dioxide is absorbed from the air. But, say, you store AND make the RO water in a room without gasses ('air'). Than, the pH would be 7. Why? H2O is water, but, in the water there ALWAYS is a balance between H+ and OH-, these ions come from the water itself! And, add H+ to OH-, and you'll get water!

Tanu www.tanu.nl

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: