• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

Sardaukar

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 180 gal reef tank that i am planning out will have 3 250w MH 6500k Iwasaki bulbs as well as 4 96w PC with actinic/deep blue/10,000k bulbs. My question is about the Metal Hailides. I have been doing alot of reading, but am still quite confused about what i need. Should i purchase those "CSL retro kits" that include the ballast, reflector and bulb or should i go with a "PFO ballast" and just wire it all my self? Since i am using 6500k Iwasaki's, do i need the EYE ballasts taht are recommended? I prolly will only use them with the 6500k bulbs, so is this a good idea? Also, what about the "HQI" ballasts and bulbs? I am rather lost. Please help me! If there is a thread with explains all of this, please feel free to show me. Thanks!

golfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been some talk on people using the HQI ballast to drive the German made mogul 10K and above bulbs with great results. I use the doubel ended 10k bulbs with my HQI ballast. I would not use an HQI ballast to drive the Iwasaki bulb. All that I have read and seen points to the standard (NOT EYE) PFO ballast for the 250 watt Iwasaki. I run a standard PFO ballast to drive my 400 watt Iwasaki even tho the light is a little on the yellow side it still blows away the 250 watt HQI's (botht of them) I'm not sure how to setup your tank as far as reflectors go. I use two PFO mini pendants and a 24" PFO reflector on my 48" 150 gal reef. I have a 400 watt Iwasaki and 4x55 watt blue PC's mounted in the reflector.....

janmango

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the 250 HQi double ended bulbs. You will need an HQI ballast. The Iwas are great for growing corals but they are an eye sore unless you supplement with lots of blues!

Jan

Sardaukar

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt think that 6500k 250w Iwasakis ran on HQI ballasts!? Am i wrong? I will be suplementing with 4 96w PC actinic bulbs, so i think i will have the blue spectrum covered.

[ July 21, 2001: Message edited by: Sardaukar ]

srbayless

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

OK, none of the iwasakis will run on a HQI ballast. The HQI ballasts are mainly to run the double ended bulbs.

Now, you will need the actinic supplemental lights if you run the iwasaki bulbs, in my opinion. Most people find the iwasaki bulbs to be too yellowish, so they add actinics.

If you go with a 10000K or higher HQI setup, you won't need the PC lights for actinic supplement since those color bulbs are usually more pleasing to the eye.

My personal preference, and what I run on my 180g, is 400w 10000K on PFO ballasts. You don't have to wire any of the PFO ballasts, they come fully wired and have quick disconnects between the ballast and bulbs, much like PC setups.

If you are set on the 250w Iwasakis with 4x96w PCs, go with PFO ballasts for the metal halide and a major brand name for the PCs. My personal favorite is custom sealife for PC setups.

Anyway, hope that clears up some confusion.

Scott.

Sardaukar

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
srbayless, do you have 2 or 3 of the 400w 10k bulbs? In terms of energy consumption and color spectrum, which would be better: the 250w Iwasaki's with 4x96w PC actinic or 3400w 10k HQI?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: