mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, I'm thinking about setting up a 45 high fishonly tank, liverock, dwarf lion, possibly a dragon wrasse, and an eel, I really like the dragon eel,though I cant find much info, I'd also like to know the difference between the hawwian and the cortez dragon.....aside from the latter being much cheaper

thanks

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup it does get kind of confusing. Anyway the Hawaiian Dragon is Enchelycore pardalis ( though the genus is still being debated ) and the Cortez Dragon is Muraena lentiginosa.
The Hawaiian is much more colorful and grows to about 2 1/2' long while the Cortez grows to about 2' long.
BTW a 45gl high would not be recommended for these as lower longer tank would be more suitable because of the eels length.
Also these are live fish eaters in the wild ( though they should be trained to eat frozen strips of fish, squid, etc. in captive tanks ) and your Dwarf Lion would probably end up as a snack.

Regards,
David Mohr

mattf0124

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info, any sites that would have more info? The tank I'm planning on using is 3.5 feet tall, any fish at all I could keep with one? Where can I find a pic of the cortez?.....cant find one anywhere...thanks again

pete

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned 2 Dragon morays in the past. They are voracious feeders, but mine were very peaceful towards tankmates. Any fish small enough to fit in their mouths will end up as food. red on snout area tends to dull with age. Still, most beautifull eel I've ever owned. Mine grew to around 30" in a 60 gal. I tried keeping the 2 together but unless tank is 180gal. or larger I would'nt recommend it. When they were about 15" I added the 2nd one to the 60 gal. and all hell broke loose. I immediately removed one and setup another tank for him. Awesome price=awesome eel.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by mattf0124:
thanks for the info, any sites that would have more info? The tank I'm planning on using is 3.5 feet tall, any fish at all I could keep with one? Where can I find a pic of the cortez?.....cant find one anywhere...thanks again

Forget about common names as they can be called anything. I gave you the scientific name and the first hit on an internet search came up with this Site and pic.
There are about 70 hits on that name

M lentiginosa

Regards,
David Mohr

[ July 21, 2001: Message edited by: davidmohr ]

Mickes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Hawaiian Dragon Eel for the past 5 years. I’m sure that the behavior between the two will be about the same so:
I'm afraid that this thing will eat anything that is half way small enough to fit into a 45g tank. It is a very aggressive Eel and I still have to be careful when feeding it as not to loose a finger. It will strike from nowhere, and if you’re not careful you’re not going to see it coming. They will make the rock work their home and rarely come out for a swim, and when they do it’s at night. I have noticed that their eyesight is very poor, and rely on smell to find the food. And there is something about stress in other fish that they can sense. I feed mine Squid, Silver Sides, Shrimp, and anything else meaty that I find. Very easy to get them to take frozen food, but the food should have a good smell to it.

They grow very fast, mine was under 12” when I first got it, and within a 1 1/2 it was over 30”. IMO a 45g tank is going to be way to small for the eel. I will probably do all right in that size tank, but it will get out sooner or later know mater what you do. Mine is in a 180g (42x30x36) tank that I had made just for the eel, nice and deep that way it would have a hard time getting out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: