A

Anonymous

My large bubble-tip split in two, and then one of the two daughters split again, this time taking several days. One of the two grand-daughter colonies was dead. It looked to be dead or dyeing as the second splitting was taking place. Now I wonder if the whole thing took place to excise a sick or dead portion of the anemone while preserving the living portions, which looks exactly like what happened. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I still have 4 living bubble-tips that seem ok. In fact the 1st generation daugher looks much better than before the splitting took place.

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting theory, excising a sick portion. I've had something similar happen to my BTA when it split a few months ago. The portion that split found it's own area, away from the original location, and is only inflated about half the time that the other anemone is. I wonder if the split takes so much energy that the new anemone doesn't have everything it needs to fully survive on it's own, while the original one will get along fine. Maybe sometimes the new anemone will make it, and sometimes it won't.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the theory. Maybe you are on to something.

Is this the same tank you experienced that anemone disaster in a month or two ago?

I still prefer to think your theory is right as opposed to another reason.

GL

Dan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: