• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Sardaukar

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a little help with the purchase of an RO unit. I am setting up a 180gal reef. My family would also like to use the RO water for drinking. What is the best brand? How many Gallons per Day should i get? What model type do i need? Help me!

JohnD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out AquaFX's website. They are a sponsor of this board. They have an RO unit with a drinking water system. I haven't looked at their site in a few months, so I am fuzzy on the details.

I bought a 3-stage 50 gpd Dolphin and couldn't be happier. My unit is really well built and the customer service is outstanding. For your sized tank, you may want a larger unit, say 100gpd.

Check out their website and give them a call.
icon_smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Junkzoo
The aquarium grade R.O. units allow bacteria to form when not in use. this can be overcome by allowing the water to run before drinking to flush out the filer. The only problem is are your children disciplined enough to do this?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bowfront:
<STRONG>Hi, I'm using a Spectrapure which specifies that it can be used for drinking water and/or aquarium. http://www.spectrapure.com/</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I just put that link in Favorites. Those prices are better than all the M.O. for aquarium and really do in Home Depots prices on human consumption R.O.

What unit do you have and what is the Gallons per day?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sardaukar:
<STRONG> My family would also like to use the RO water for drinking.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aquarium grade R.O. units are not built for human consumption. You need to go to Home depot or the equavilant in your area. The units made for human consumption will do great for your tank.
BTW they are not that much more expensive than the Aquarium R.O.s

Good Luck

junkzoo

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefaholic,,,,,,what's the difference between the "aquarium " grade RO and the "home "use ones? just wondering,,,

bowfront

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fishaholic:
<STRONG>

What unit do you have and what is the Gallons per day?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm using a 60g/day RO/DI 5 stage unit. I don't use it for drinking water because of the DI but the RO instructions said that it could be used for either. Spectrapure has been great to me and has technicians there at the 800 number that will help you configure any style or size system that you want. The components listed on their website can be mixed and matched however you need to. They will also help you to upgade your existing unit when its time to change the membrane such as from a 24g/day to 60/g day.
Ok enough I'm starting to sound like a salesman.

cerreta

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a standard drinking water 5 stage unit at Price Club (Costco) for $150.00 and added a $60.00 SpectraPure DI upgrade unit(afterthought 6 months later). Both, my fish and family drink it and I'm happy to report that we are all alive!
Cheers,
Scott

Cakepro

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use the Kent Marine 60 gpd RO/DI/Hi-S unit and tap off the RO side for drinking water. It's a simple matter of installing a little valve for when you want to fill a pitcher for drinking/cooking water. You can also buy a "completer kit" which allows you to store the RO drinking water in a pressurized container and a bar faucet that you install in your kitchen sink. The RO water tastes wonderful and I don't have to buy Ozarka anymore. Deionized water is not drinkable.

~ Sherri ~

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: