• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kevjtomy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a new pump for my Remora skimmer. It came with a Rio 800. My question is should I get the exact same pump, or is there a better one that would in any way enhance the skimmers performance? Thanks...

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think John@Carline has the remora pro and uses a mag 7 or 9. I am going to be changing the rio on mine to the mag soon. I also have the pro but would imagine the mag 7 would be fine on the regular remora too. Check around first though.

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never owned a Remora, but I have a EV150 that came with Rio 1700(I think? I threw away the rio long ago already) I originally replaced with Mag7. Recently replaced with Mag 9.5. Much more satisfied with the result and quantity of skimmate with the Mag 9.5. I believe srbayless in prior post has recommended people to use bigger pumps with all Aqua-C skimmers. I believe he is right (at least in my case......EV150).

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people, me included, put the Maxijet 1200 on their Remora. Much better pump than the Rio for that skimmer. I think John, had the Pro when he put the larger MAG pumps on it. HTH good luck.

swreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recieved a reply from Jason Kim, the owner of Aqua-C, regarding this question. You can swith the Rio 800 on the remora for a Mag 3. This will make the skimmer 20% more efficient. Just remember you need to adjust the collection cup a lot higher.

christian

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a Amiracle skimmer and it came with a 800 rio and i have returned it to the lfs due to poor performance. it jus wouldnt blow any bubbles. they finally exchanged it and i am having the same problem with the new one. its working right now only cuz i got it jimmy rigged. i was told that buying a bigger pump wouldnt make a difference cuz this skimmer was made 2 work with this pump. i dont know how much of that is bull!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: