GMH320

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone feed their sand sifting stars? I want to give mine some additional feedings thinking that he may not be getting enough from the live sand bed. The brittle stars graceously accept chunks of shrimp but the sand sifter doesn't seem to be interested. Any suggestions for food?

dvmsn

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned a sand sifting star for several years. I have attempted supplemental feedings but he rejected them. I wouldn't worry about it. I would doubt that your bed doesn't have enough food.

Passport

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first invert that I added to my 55g reef was the sandsifting starfish. Then I began reading online about how they would deplete the life in the sandbed. I kept him in there for about 4 months and then returned him to the lfs and ordered worms and such online to try and replenish sand. I don't know if he did do damage or if I really needed to return him. He certainly kept the sand turned and I never saw any algae on the top.

sally1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will not take prepared foods. They will eat all the life in your sandbed and then slowly starve to death. It may take a year or two depending on the size of your tank. Sorry, but that is the truth.

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sally, not even in a 400 gallon tank with a high nutrient level. Theres no need to be so defeatist, im sure there are people who have kept these animals successfully for years.

Mabu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the same thing. I moved my star to a secondary tank and he seems to be doing his thing.. I can't tell if he really depletes the sand of life or not, so the jury's out on that contention.

eastert

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my star for about a year know...I don't feed him, and he does a wonderful job turning the sand.
icon_razz.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: